Less Calories Using Lower Step

Linda67

Hi Cathe,
I was wondering, roughly how many less calories do I burn if I use a 6 inch step as opposed to an 8 inch step. For instance, if the workout manager calculates 400 calories burned during a workout using an 8 inch step, and I use a 6 inch. How many calories should I subtract?
Thanks!
Linda

I don't know if it will be 100% accurate, but you can guesstimate with the workout manager by: going to add workout, choose "cardio" then choose "group fitness". Your choices for step are aerobic with a 4, 6, 8 or 10 inch step. If I choose 45 minutes w/a 6 inch step, it shows 377 calories. If I choose 45 minutes w/a 8 inch step it shows 422 calories. So you could put in the step time of the workout you are doing and choose the two heights, and that will show you a difference.

HTH, Stephanie

Thank you so much Stephanie. I just calculated mine, and it said a difference of 44 calories. So I'm assuming for it will be a difference of anywhere from maybe 40 to 50 calories.
Linda

I have recently taken my step down to 6" (knee issues) from 8" and have seen only 20 - 30 calorie drop! I was surprised it was that small a difference (worth it to me). I still use 8" for workouts like Athletic Training, but most of the others it is 6" for me. I measured the calorie burn with my polar heart rate monitor by the way.

That's pretty much why I asked the question. I can't do 8 inches anymore, my knees are not the same as they use to be.

I can also confirm that lowering the step only costs me maybe 30-40 calories, based on doing the LIC and Low Max using my Polar.
So, no need to torture yourself!

Here! Here!

That's pretty much why I asked the question. I can't do 8 inches anymore, my knees are not the same as they use to be.

I went to a 6 inch step years ago. My knees started hurting when I went back to stepping after a summer break and I thought I would work back up to an 8 inch step again. Then Cathe came out with 4DS and I never went back. The calorie loss is minimal compared to the increased fun factor since the knees don't hurt, & I no longer trip-up when I start to fatigue towards the end of a workout. If I want more calorie burn, I go longer or replay a fun segment. If I want more intensity, I jump higher and/or go deeper into the moves, and sometimes I add weight depending on the workout. Like Cathe says in TTM "if it gets to easy, there's always a way to fix the problem!";)

Like the previous post says, you can change the intensity of the moves to make up for a step height difference (in general). You're probably already doing that without thinking about it. If you have the extra energy, you'll use it, with intensity blasts and so on.

Try wearing weighted gloves for step. It helps a lot with calorie burn from upper body, and is surprisingly fatiguing.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.