Jumping from 15 lbs to 20 lbs for shoulder work

elizd1956

I am able to use 15 lb. dumbbells for military press for shoulders. I can do 3 sets of 12 without fatiguing. So, where to go from here? I have tried moving up to 20 lb. dumbbells, but the increase is too much. I've also tried holding a 2 to 3 lb. dumbbell along with the 15 lb., but my hands are small and I'm afraid of dropping both. Any suggestions about what to do? Should I just stick with 15's and maintain this level of strength?

Thanks!

Hi,

Not Cathe but have you tried hand weights that are used for aerobics?
They strap on like weight gloves and come in 2-5lbs.

Sincerely,
:*

Hi,
Again, not Cathe, but a similar suggestion to the one that Heidi mentioned are using wrist or even ankle weights strapped around your wrists to add weight without making the full 5 lb jump.

Also, can you do any reps with the 20 lb weights? Even if it's just one, make sure you do that one with the 20 lb weights first, then move on to your regular set with the 15 lb weights. Slowly, but surely you'll get to where you can do 2 reps before failure, then 3, etc.

Congratulations on the increased strength! I just recently made the leap to 20's for overhead presses, but it took me a long time to get there:7

Mattea

Sounds like you need some Platemates! They are magnetized weights (either 1 1/4 pound each, or half of that!) that allow you to increase weights more slowly.

Or, in the same vein as Heidi's suggestion, how about adjustable wrist weights?

You can also make the 15# weights seem heavier by using different techniques: slowing down moves to 1/2 speed, doing some pulses at the bottom (like "low ends" for the shoulders!), putting less rest between sets.

I agree with Kathryn in the use of Platemates. I use this when the 5 pound jump is too much for me.

Lorrayne

I recently made that jump to and decided to try 25s, too. What I had to do was work one side at a time and use the other hand to assist slightly.

If you make the jump to 20, scale back your reps and keep working at until you can do 3 sets of 12. That's progression. :)

I agree with the Platemates. I have a pair of 1 1/4# and use them all the time. Here is some info I copied and pasted. They were more expensive at this site as opposed to the site Heidi recommended.

http://befittoday.com/plaetmates.jpg

Your body only improves itself when it's forced to. Pushing your muscles beyond their usual limits is a start, but sometimes doing so isn't always possible. What do you do when you're ready to move up in weight on a dumbbell exercise but the next sized dumbbell is too heavy? Reach for a couple of PlateMates. These tiny weight plates are magnetized and attach to the ends of any standard dumbbell or fixed-weight barbell, letting you raise the total weight your using by 1 1/4 lbs. or 2 1/2 lbs.

Used by beginners and dedicated exercisers alike, PlateMates comes in 1 1/4 pound size so you can add weight to your exercises for consistent strength gains. When not in use, these little lodestones can easily be tucked in your gymbag until the next workout.

PlateMates patented super strong magnetic design securely attaches to most fixed hexagonal and plated dumbbells and barbells. By providing a lighter incremental weight progression of just a pound instead of the usual five-pound leap most dumbbells take, PlateMates also help to reduce your risk of injury when training.

http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid8692709

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH (AKA "Den Mother Debbie") http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aktion/action-smiley-066.gif[/img] If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance, I Hope You DANCE!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.