intimidated by pikes!

meganjweir

I just bought the Core Max dvd with the three ab workouts. I have two questions. In the first workout, on the mat, my neck is straining a lot of the time, and I'm wondering how I can get the most out of these ab workouts without "cheating" by straining my neck.

Also, I am totally intimidated by the ball pikes. I can't get my butt over my head. I can't even get it out of horizontal tucks on the ball. What's the secret technique to doing a perfect pike? Do I straighten my legs first? Is it all in the shoulders? Where do my feet go? Please give me a step by step because I REALLY want to do these right!! (PS I have rotator cuff issues)

Thank you for any tips.

Hi. Not Cathe, but wanted to help. The pikes are very tough and you have to work up to them. I FINALLY did them last night on the Coremax 2 workout. Up until then, I could do them somewhat depending on my strength that day. You really have to build up.

By substituting the roll-ins THEY will help you build your ab muscles enough to do the pikes. My core and abs are SCREAMING after Coremax 2! I am psyched now to do a Coremax workout every week. It really helps the back strength too.

As for the neck straining, strength will come over time. Probably those seated "lifts" helped to strain your neck a little - ha ha. Those are definitely different! Again, do what you can and you get better each time, really!

As Cathe says, "Tighten the muscle and it'll work twice as hard for you!!" Good luck. Hope this helps.

OMG! I'm so glad you posted this question! I have been trying so hard to do pikes (can do them on the floor, no problem) and it's now been a few months. I am slowly getting further up, but they are f&*^ken tough.:D

I think it does just take practice, like anything and tightening those muscles. I just didn't want you to think you were the only one suffering!

Hi Megan! You're doing great, hang in there and give it time. Your neck needs to build up the endurance for the ab workouts which will come gradually. Try to put two to three days between the ab workouts initially so that your core and neck muscles get some recovery time in between the workouts. Give yourself a few weeks to work your way up to doing all three of these ab routines weekly. Also, place your hand behind your head to support it when it really needs it. There is nothing wrong with doing that.

As for pikes, these are very advanced exercises. Work your way up by doing roll in's with both legs. Once you have mastered those, do roll in's with just one leg at a time. Again, once mastered, do roll in's with both legs while slightly raising your buttocks. Eventually you will be able to spike your buttocks higher and higher. Don't worry about making it completely to the top....all the results occur from the cumulative attempts to pull yourself up there :7

Cathe,

Thank you for answering my question so quickly. I am printing out your message and will read it every time I use your ab workout. I appreciate your support.

Megan

These are soooo hard!!!!! Once you get it - you feel great about your accomplishment. For me, I found that they are tough on upper body strength. I found that once I had gained some strength in my upper body, it made doing the pike easier.

Hope this helps and good luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.