Interval running

Alex1004

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and other Catheites,

I see that interval running for 45 minutes is on tap for today per your July rotation. I am never sure if i am doing them right, if there is such a thing especially when it comes to how long should my recovery be. This is what i do: run 1 min @ 6mph, 90 secs recovery, usually walking that point until i am fully recovery and ready to go again. Is this interval running? Does interval running build cardio endurance for steady state workouts? How long should i stay at 6mph? my goal is to get to at least 8mph for 1 min. I am trying to prepare my cardiovascular system for shock cardio.

Second question, before Cathenation, there was a place on the site where Cedie, Jai, Brenda, and Lorraine talked ahout how they prepared for your videos, could you or anyone tell me where to find that information. Could you send me the link?

Any suggestions from anyone is welcomed, the more the merrier.

Thanks everyone.

Yvonne

I would consider that interval running. It does build up your cardio strength and your VO2 Max. Each time you try the interval runs, try to up your speed a bit. This is similar to HIIT training where you do 30-60 seconds full out (like so fast you couldn't go any longer than 60 seconds) then recover at 30 or 60 seconds (depending on what theory you subscribe to, some even say like 60 seconds full on to 90 seconds recovery). I think it might depend on your fitness level too. I found this site to be pretty informative. I started doing interval running to break up the monotony of the treadmill and to increase my speed for a 5K. I was able to shave off 2 mins from my time! http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

Hope this helps some!
Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.