Interval overtraining

gigstar1

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!!!

I know that you are away but maybe you will have some time to answer when you get back.

I know that you shouldn't do more than 2 interval workouts in a week. I do IMAX I or II and an interval run each week. So if I do Boot Camp, how should I handle the anaerobic bursts? Do I need to treat Boot Camp as an interval workout?

Thanks so much and I hope you had a great trip!!!!

Lisa

I'm curious about this too. I wasn't sure how often interval training was suggested, and I've been doing 2 20 minute bursts on the treadmill (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and then on Saturday morning doing Imax 2. Is this too much interval training in one week??

Thanks!
Nicole

Hi Lisa ;-)
I am just curious to know why doing more than 2 interval workouts in one week is not good. I've never heard this before(not that I doubt that it is true, just curious, thats all)

Thanks!!

Marisa

Hi Marisa,

I'm pretty sure that Cathe has mentioned before that 2 intervals a week is enough. I think that because they are so tough on your body that you need at least 2 days of rest in between. Also, it's good to get a variety of workouts - interval,long and slow, medium cardio etc. so that you don't burn out. But since Cathe puts in quite a few anaerobic burtst or intervals in her regular workouts, like Boot Camp, I just wanted to know if I should be replacing one of my regular interval workouts with Boot Camp if I plan on doing it that week. Wow!! That was a terrrible run-on sentence. Hope I somewhat answered your interval question.

Lisa :)

Sorry Cathe but I saw that you were answering posts so I thought I would give one more little bump!!!

Thanks,

Lisa

This is a great question. I often wonder if I should put 2 days between some of my workouts. I just go by how my body feels. If my knees, ankles, etc. feel fatigued, then I'll do Rhythmic Step or upperbody or something like that before I take on a monster workout. I haven't done Boot Camp but since the cardio only adds up to 8 minutes, maybe it wouldn't be considered interval training. Of course, from what I hear they are 8 HARD minutes, so I could be way wrong here.

Hi Lisa! Boot Camp incorporates some interval blasts but it is not the traditional interval workout. It is regarded more as a total body fitness circuit workout since various components of fitness are challenged rather than focusing more specifically on increasing your aerobic capacity.

Have Fun!

Lisa-

You answered my question well ;-)
Thank you!

P.S. So is CardioMax considered an interval workout?? Just wondering because I have that tape and didn't know what it would be considered.

Hi Marissa,

I think you mean Circuit Max. But that is definitely not an interval workout. So you don't have to worry. It is basically a circuit tape, hence the name,that focuses on cardio and light weights. Essentially an endurance workout.

Take Care!!!

Lisa

Lisa-

Where is my mind today?? :p Yes....I did mean CircuitMax. I do love that tape, but I will definitely have to try out an interval workout. I don't think I that I have an interval type workout yet....I am planning on ordering the new series soon, as soon as I get Christmas paid off....so it might be a month yet before I can order it :-( But as soon as I have it, I will definitely have to try out Imax2 first.

What is the difference between an interval workout and CircuitMax? I guess I'm confused to exactly what an interval workout is.

Thanks so much!!;)

Marisa

Hi Marisa!!

Sorry that I spelled your name wrong before.:(

Anyway, a circuit workout and an interval workout are both designed to improve your cardio stamina but in different ways.
A circuit workout (as you have seen with Circuit Max) incorporates cardio segments and weights with no rest in between. The goal is to keep your heart rate at a constant yet challenging speed (without going anaerobic too much).
An interval workout (like IMAX I OR II) incorporates short cardio segments with HARD bursts of cardio to bring you into an anaerobic state. But unlike a circuit workout you have a rest period to bring your heart rate down before starting the next cardio segment. It's basically playing around with your heart rate to achieve a maximum fitness level.
Both workouts are really important for overall fitness. But if you don't have IMAX I or II I definitely suggest getting it. They are AWESOME!!!

Take Care

Lisa

Thats okay Lisa, my name gets spelled wrong all the time :D

Well, thank you for answering my question! I understand the difference now :) .....but I do have one other question- So do interval workouts still have the weight section done between the cardio sections like CircuitMax?? OR, do interval trainings consist of strictly cardio?

Marisa ;)

Hi Marisa,

As far as I know interval workouts consist of basically cardio. I think that when you start adding the weight you are going for more of a circuit workout. Although Boot Camp has intervals AND weights so I guess it all depends. Miss Cathe is a little crazy!!!!!:)

Lisa

LOL!!
She definitely is....but oh how we love her!! :)

I love the fact that she is so active in her fans lives too. I love the fact that I can ask her a question and get an answer directly from her...not some "Customer service" rep from wherever....not that I have a problem with those people...its just that I love to get an answer directly from the master herself!

I love this forum too!! I used to visit Cathe's website only when I needed to do an order, or just to see what was new every now and then....but now.......
.....well now, I am addicted!! I visit this forum almost every day. It's so inspiring to know that there are so many other people out there addicted to Cathe like myself :) And, on a day that I don't feel much like working out, I come to this forum and read through a few posts, and usually I get really motivated to go home, pull out my weights and my step, and get to workin' out!!

Marisa ;-)

Hi Marisa!!!

YES YES YES!! I've been doing Cathe since '98 and she is the best. I'm also very addicted to this website and I DO visit it every day. Tee hee! Whee!:)

Hi again Marisa!

I forgot to say in my last post that we should probably stop this thread now because Cathe gets mad :( if we clutter up this forum with chatting so if you have any other questions or anything post it to me or the other educated ladies on the other two forums. It was so great chatting with you !!!:):)

Love, Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.