Intermediate step recommendation please

Hello, I'm new to threads so I hope I'm doing this right :D It's been 20 years since I've done step aerobics and I had forgotten how much fun it is! I'm glad that I discovered Cathe's DVD's because she is awesome! I can now complete Basic Step, Body Fusion and Low Impact Step. Could you recommend the next step aerobics DVD? I would consider myself an intermediate stepper. I've watched Cathe's DVD samples and I really like the looks and sounds of Body Max 2. Could an intermediate stepper do this workout if done is small sections or using the cardio premix (43 min)? P.S. I do have Low Impact Circuit as well...I just haven't purchased a barbell yet. Thank you for any advice!!!

I think you can probably do any of Cathe's step dvd's. You don't have to have as many risers as her in the beginning. But if you like low impact, you should get low max, it rocks. Step blast and Intensity are my favs. from Cathe, they are both higher impact, esp. Intensity, but it also have hi and low HiiT without step and a bonus bootcamp. I find her older steps are easier to learn because she breaks them down more than her newer ones, but all are great, imo.

Body Max 2 is really fun. I know you could do it! It may take a couple times to get some of the places, but that's OK. By the way, you can do most of Cathe's weight workouts with dumb bells until you get a barbell. Don't let that stop you. I second Low Max as a recommendation. It's also fun. Take a look at Step, Jump, Pump as another option. I don't know how many you want, but it's fun. It has the old music like Body Max 2. Just some suggestions -- Good luck. Let us know what you get!

Another vote for LowMax. That would probably be the perfect next step for you. I think BodyMax 2 is a lot of fun, but it does move at a quicker pace. When I first started I used to just do the first 35 minutes or so before the blasts (or whatever they're called, can't remember). There are great premixes too so you'd definitely find something that works for you and room to grow too!

If you have Low Impact Circuit, the step only premix is a perfect intermediate workout. Since you have stepped before though you could probably find that any, if you learn the combos and limit the step height would be okay.

Ones I would consider true intermediate in length or difficulty would be, in no particular order:

Cardio & Weights step premix
High Step Circuit (whole circuit)
Step Jam
Step Heat
Low Max - combos only, no blasts premix

The step only premix to Body Max 2 is good too it has a little more intensity than those above, same with Intensity.

If you have Cardio & Weights that comes with Imax 2 you could do several then and work your way up:

Cardio & Weights step premix
Imax 2 combos 1-4 premix
Imax 2 combos 4-7 premix
then the entire Imax 2 routine.

Likewise with Low Max:

Start with the combos premix then learn the whole routine.

There are probably others, those are the ones I think of for intermediate, or that's the way I did them.

Thank you

Thank you so much for your advice!!

Firemedic - Great idea to reduce the risers. Step blast looks like an absolute hoot and I love the music! P.S. Your dog is really cute!!

Exercise-lover - Thank you for the encouragement re: Body Max 2. I watched the trailer for Step, Jump and Pump/Step Blast and I really liked it!!

Str8shooter - I have the Athletic Step download but got mixed up on the choreography and quite out of breath. Will try again in a couple of months when I'm hopefully more coordinated and in better shape!

Bpurcell - I think Low Max might be great idea too.

112toGuru - Thank you for all the recommendations. Unfortunately I purchased the download of Low Impact Circuit so premixes aren't an option. Maybe I could try this in a few months when I'm in better shape. I'm from Canada, so downloads are more economical as I avoid high shipping charges and custom and duty fees.

I am now deciding between Lo Max and Step, Jump and Pump/Step Blast DVD's. I will definitely purchase one of these in DVD format as I do need the premix option :D

Would you recommend Low Max to start (i.e. easier choreography) before Step, Jump and Pump?

Thank you again everyone!
Kristi

You can make the premixes with downloads if you use the Workout Blender. First you use Workout Manager to look up which chapters are in the premix and then the Blender to create a workout from your download with just those chapters. I'm making it sound harder than it is!

Barbara

Kristi, Low Max is totally step with some blasts. Step, Jump, and Pump is a mixture of step, then some Hi-Lo, and weight work mixed in. It depends on what you want. I believe Step Blast is all step. On the one hand, Low Max is all step, but on the other SJP and SB gives you two workouts on one DVD. Again, just depends on what you want. Both DVDs are really good. Can't go wrong with either in my opinion.

Thank you so much Barbara!! I wasn't aware of this wonderful option. So much more advanced than my VCR and Kathy Smith VHS tapes from the '90's :D
Kristi

Hi exercise lover - now that Barbara has enlightened me regarding the Workout Blender, I think I'll try both. Thank you for your detailed descriptions of both workouts!!
Kristi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.