Injured Back:Can't workout :( Exercises I can do to stay in shape?

beanqueen

Cathlete
Hi,

Well, i hurt my back a couple weeks ago. I'm not quite sure if it's a muscle issue vs. a nerve problem. But, I haven't been able to work out at all. :( I'm planning on going to the Doctor tomorrow to check into my injury.

But, in the meantime, I'm going stir crazy! I haven't been able to work out for the past 2 weeks. I'm dying to do weights (wave to all those that answered my post about 'getting bigger' thank you!) but I don't think i can do them right now (ouch!) i've tried doing some arm calisthetics, figure it's better than nothing, but legs/butt are hard to do...trying to think of an exercise i can do that won't strain/compromise my back. (it's my lower right side)

i've done some plie squats (no weights).

I'd appreciate any suggestions. It's so frustrating not to be able to work out. I was just starting to see some progress in my workouts and body. And now, I can see myself starting to get 'soft/jiggly' again. :(

Thank you so much.
~p

Head for the pool

or the lake or ocean. All joking aside, do you have access to some recreational water? Even strides in chest depth water will give you a good workout, but there are all sorts of toning or cardio work you can do without putting pressure on your back.

Get well soon!

Sorry I don't have any other suggestions for exercises (though pool work sounds good). I CAN however empathize with your back problem. Years ago, I fell off a horse (actually both the horse and I fell) and had awful back pain for a while. It really showed me how much our backs are used in almost every move we do! (By the way, I got relief from chiropractic, when regular doctors kept telling me there was "nothing wrong"!).

Hi P! I know you don't want me to say this but I really think you should put off exercising until you see the doctor tomorrow. If your back is hurting as much as you say then there really is no exercise out there that is safe enough to do without risking injuring yourself further. I know set back are frustrating but further injury can lead to "frustrating times 10". Good Luck with everything!

thank you so much debra, kathryn & cathe :)

well, went to the doctor.. and he thinks i should just give it a rest, and try to slowly resume exercising when i'm feeling better. he says even if it's a disc etc...rest is the best thing for it.. :p

but, well... i *am* feeling better :) and want to start some calisthetics or something...i know i have the tendency to 'jump back into working out' rather zealously ;) so i'm going to try and proceed slowly...but, gosh, i'm just itching to workout...
well, i guess when i can go 'full boar' on the workouts..i'll be highly motivated! heehee

thanks so much for your responses.

p

try some old fashioned Callanetics. (Core stabilization and isometrics.) You csn get her tape at Target or Circuit City or best Buy.)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.