I'm desparate.....HELP

C

Cin

Hello! I have used this forum in the past but forgot my user name!!LOL,anyway....I haven't been on this site in about 6 months,I needed advice on gaining weight and muscle,I am skinny but "fat" I weigh only 105,I'm 5'5'.I look like a should wear a size one but I can wear a 7 because of my stomach,which does not only need toning,it really needs to shed the fat which would work with aerobics,I did taebo and got too skinny,looked awful,I ordered cathe's pure strength, I read to lift heavy and cut down on cardio,I have,I am gaining strength,and I am getting shape to my arms...but I am NOt losing my fat on my stomach,and I am eating more protein and bought some protein shakes,I even bought femme advantage creatine,my legs are getting skinnier! I am so upset I could scream!! I have lost an inch and half on my legs,I need to lose on certain areas and gain on the other,I don't do any aerobics,haven't since March,I have exercised for about 3 years,switching from intervals,to circuit,to aerobics only,now free weights,I also have fat on my back.Please any advice! Hope to hear from Cathe,I don't know what to do,seems I have tried everything,I do like sweets but have cut back alot,I don't want my legs to get any skinnier and I'm afraid to do cardio to shed my "flab"(which I do have,no matter my weight),because I'm afraid I will get skinnier,but I can't see any stomach muscles because they will never show with fat on top of them! Hope this isn't confusing. Thanks!
Cin p.s.I just ordered slow and heavy,been doing weights since March.

Hi,
I'm not trying to be an alarmist, but after reading your post, I think you should see a doctor. If you are eating right, getting enough cardio and enough weight training, you should be seeing results, not only in your arms, but your stomach. But then again, maybe your perception of your stomach is skewed and you should get the honest opinion of two people you really trust. Ask them, "Is my stomach fat, flabby?" "Do I need to lose weight?" Just a suggestion. Sometimes we are our own worst enemy.
Amy

Well...it never hurts to see a doctor, but I'm thinking it might just be body type. After all, Cin hasn't been doing cardio for almost a year, and she IS seeing a difference in the shape of her arms from the strength training...
If you store fat in your midsection and have naturally thin legs and arms, I wouldn't expect to see results in fat loss (in your stomach or back) without cardio, but completely understand that you're afraid to do get too skinny! Maybe you need to greatly increase your caloric intake (with protein, carbs, whole foods--healthy stuff), and then maybe do 3 moderate intensity cardio workouts in addition to the weights you are doing.
This is just an idea, and I have absolutely no claims to knowing what I'm talking about! Good luck to you!
Wendy

Hi Cin,

Let me ask you a question: is it possible the "fat" is actually abdominal bloating? I am also thin - about the same height and weight as you. (I'm the one who posted the "help for "stick girl" message.) I've had a lot of trouble in the past with my belly. I used to berate myself for being "fat" around the middle. Finally, I noticed that it was worse at some times of the day - usually in the evening - than others and worse around my period. If you notice a fluctuation in your waist size during the day, it's entirely possible that you have a health issue that is causing a distended abdomen. Also, if you have digestive problems, such as irritable bowel, I would be highly suspicious.

I agree with the first post, a visit to your doctor would probably be a good idea. I'm kicking myself for not doing so sooner.

Please feel free to email me privately if you'd like to discuss it further.

Best wishes,

Angela

My 20-year old sil fits your description perfectly. She also has type 1 diabetes, and looks like that partly because her body is metabolizing muscle for energy because she is not using carbs. She has a high body fat %, but is 5'3" and between 95-100 lbs. (The swollen belly also has to do with her malnourishment and the fact that she has severe edema.)

You might want to see a doctor. It could be a symptom of many things... diabetes, hyperthyroid... who knows?!? Better safe than sorry.

Hi, Cin,

I am 5', 7" and weigh 127. I "wear" my fat in the stomach (apple) and I suspect you have the same thing going on. You definintely should not swear off cardio! I have thin legs also. I used to describe them as skinny but thanks to cardio and weight training they are defined and muscular. Cardio will not make your legs thinner! How's your diet? Clean it up, work out with weights and do cardio. Your belly may never disappear entirely. Mine hasn't. (I know I exagerate how big it is to myself.) But I am healthy and strong. Live a healthy lifestyle and quit worrying about a little body fat! Add muscle! Be content with yourself!

Hi everyone! Goodness,I never thought of checking with a doctor,I don't feel unhealthy or have any problems that I would know about,but I guess thats just it,I don't have any problems that I "know" about, I beleive I will check with one since everyone thinks it would be a good idea,I may check with a nutrionist too. I do notice that I get bigger during certain days and near my period,but I do have fat on my stomach and a little on my back,not just untoned or bloating, and if you all would see my you would say "yes" thats fat,not me being critical,I know I will never be real muscular because of genetics,but this is very frustarating to have this problem!I want to thank everyone for their input,every little bit of info and advice helps,and beleive it or not,I eat a lot! But....that may be a problem too,I try to eat right,that where a nutrionist may help. Thanks everyone!
p.s.I would like to contact you Angela,I don't know how to get email addresses from this site,just let me know how!
Cin

You have an interesting dilemma. You need to burn the fat on your stomach and not lose fat from other places. It's sounds like your metabolism is high. I was thinking about you when I ran yesterday. I think you are definitely missing out on the benefits of cardio but I see why you don't do it since your weight drops and it's already low. I wish I had that problem! Anyway, I think consulting a nutritionsit is a great idea. If you eat the correct way you should be able to do cardio and strength work. It's all about finding the correct balance for you. You can do it. And don't forget to love your body, belly fat and all!;-)

Thanks Bobbi,I had to laugh when I read your last sentence! I guess I will have to learn to love my body type (whoo!)
After I do all my check ups I'll let you know about the cardio,I do miss doing it,but...I don't wanna blow away in the wind!
I'll keep everyone posted,also....has anyone tried any kind of protein powders? whey protein or anything? Just curios!
Keep in touch:)
cin

It's a pep talk I have given myself! I work out a lot and intensely too. I have slim arms and legs, a small butt but I store my fat right in the belly. And, of course I hate it, am obsessed with flat bellies, keep trying to lose it but I am an apple! My diet is clean and I am healthy and strong so I will love and accept my body even as I endeavor to perfect it!

I have a flat abs but all my weight goes to my behind. I am having hardest time making this small. I am 5'1" and wighted 100 lbs with a big butt. Any suggestion?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.