If I'm not very sore, does that mean I'm not doing enough?

Dela

Cathlete
Hi there,

I've noticed when I do the circuit style videos like ME, MM, SS, etc. that I'm experiencing only a little soreness, and I've heard people say doing these workouts the first couple times produced a good amount of soreness. I feel like I'm working hard during the workouts, and can't go much heavier without sacrificing the higher reps in these workouts.

If I'm not sore, does that mean the workout was not very effective for me? Or that I'm not working it hard enough?

I do keep up with most everything, during ME today, I could not do as many bicep reps as Cathe and crew, and I do usually wimp out when I get to abs.

Thanks for any and all thoughts on the subject!

JD

Not Cathe here, but soreness is NOT an indication of effectiveness. Soreness (at least in my case) generally comes from doing new movements, or long sequences of movements that are new to me or that I haven't done in a long time. You can get a very effective workout w/out being sore.

For example, I did PLB the other day after not having done that it, or that particular style of workout for quite a while. I was uncomfortable the next day. The next time I did it, it was just as tough, but very little/no soreness the next day. But that doesn't mean it wasn't effective. If that were the case, no workout would be useful more than once or twice.

I also think that people are different. Some people rarely get DOMS, others more often. I know for me, every time I switch up strength workouts, even if its one I've done before, I end up with DOMS for a day. I normally change them up every month or so. I also know people who ache everytime they change a cardio workout, where for me a cardio workout rarely makes my muscles sore, unless I've taken an extended break.

If you are truely working to your best efforts and with the correct weight and you are not sore, then that is fine. If you are not sore because you are under-working, then I think the correct weight/reps needs to be figured out for you. But from what you said, that doesn't appear to be the case.

So to make a long answer short: Just because it doesn't hurt, doesn't mean its not working.

Nan

Thanks so much for taking the time to post this information. That really helps clear up my concerns!

Dela,
If you do a search for DOMS (delayed-onset muscle soreness), you'll find some other posts that address this issue.

As Nan states, DOMS is NOT necessary as a sign you have gotten an effective workout (in fact, if you can work out hard--last 2 reps of most sets are difficult, and you can't do another one with good form--and NOT get much DOMS, it may be a sign you are recoverying faster, due to a number of factors, including proper diet).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.