If I'm NOT sore, am I still getting a good workout?

AllisonT

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I've been training with weights intensely for four months. Because one of my goals is to build strength, I try to increase my weights so that I have trouble completing the last rep or two of my sets (I'm using Max Intensity Strength and the Pure Strength Series right now). When I first started using these workouts, I would be very sore the next day, but now I rarely have any major muscle soreness. Is muscle soreness the main sign that my muscles are working to capacity? Am I still getting a good workout if I'm not sore?

PS. When I talk about "sore", I don't mean that I need painkillers, but my muscles do/did feel worked out and "used" the next day.

Thanks,
AllisonT

Hi Allison! Muscle soreness the next day does not always have to be present to ensure you had an effective workout. The main thing is that you gave it your all and worked your muscles to their fullest potential (which is what you have stated that you are doing).

But there does come a point where the same workout gets easier over time for your muscles because they have adapted to the workout. If this is the case, and you have already used this rotation for about 12 weeks, then I would definitely introduce your muscles to a new rotation.

Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.