How Is Everybody Doing?

Cathe Friedrich

Administrator
It is a day after our national terrorist tradgedy and many of us are still having a hard time digesting all that has happened, I know I am.

I was sick with grief all day yesterday knowing that one of our webmasters, and dear friend Adam, who works in the upper floors of the WTC may no longer be with us. I was glued to the TV watching footage hoping to see him on the streets. Although we did not see or hear from him, we did not lose hope knowing that the lines of communication, especially those in Manhatten, were not functioning very well.

Finally, late last night, we heard news from Adams parents that Adam is alive. He fortunately left the building to grab a quick breakfast at the time the attacks occurred. Oh, what a relief it was to get this news.

As happy as I am that Adam is alive, I still have a HUGE hole in my heart for those who were less fortunate. I have been endlessly praying for the families and friends who have lost their loved ones, as well as those who are still with us, yet suffering from serious injuries. This is all just so unbelievably devastating.

As we have heard so many times in the last 33 hours.....GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Hello, Miss Cathe. So achingly glad Adam is safe. And like you, a hole in my heart that gets nothing but bigger. Such a confluence of conflicting emotions, the intensity of which only seems to increase each day.

My thoughts are with you, your family and all of the friends I've made here on the Cathe forums. It truly is a place where hateful, negative speech on topics small and large has no place, and that's been a blessing even before today. Please take care of yourself and your family, and know you have my most sincere gratitude.

Annette

I am also happy to hear about Adam! Two firefighters were just found in New York and it has renewed the hope in my heart. I feel so sorrowful. The poet John Donne said, "any man's death diminishes me". I feel that very deeply. What we have lost, we cannot have again. But human spirit, the power of love, the strength of compassion, these things will allow us to rise above the hatred and evil which sadly will always be a part of the human equation. Now as we realize our vulnerability, we must perhaps give up some of our liberties to protect ourselves and those ideals. I love this country and what it represents with all my heart. My prayers are with the survivors and the friends and families directly affected. I cannot fathom the depth of their sorrow! I pray also for all of us. Let Freedom ring!

Cathe, so glad to hear...

that Adam is safe and sound. What a stroke of luck, his appetite saved his life.

I am grieving for all the lives lost in the attacks and for the families and friends left behind who are suffering now. All the destruction is truly sickening.

While I am on the West Coast and have no family in the areas of the attacks, I too am affected since my husband is in the military and has been put on alert for "whatever". He is in a job that requires him to be among the first to go when we send in troops or whatever it is that we're going to do. He is a mobile network administrator, so needless to say, they need their computers for logistics and intelligence when they deploy on missions like these. I am sick at heart knowing that he could be called away at any minute, and I may not even know where he is going (he is not able to tell even me most of what they are discussing right now--he has a Top Secret security clearance).

I'm sure there are other military spouses on this board, and I feel for them too, as I am sure they are facing similar situations.

Hope everyone is hanging in there....take care....

Renae

RE: Cathe, so glad to hear...

Hi Renae! I certainly can understand your anxiety. This must be a very stressful time for you. My thoughts are with you and your husband! Please take care!

Yearning for normalcy, whatever that is ...

We just had a bomb threat in an adjacent office building. All the people in my office evacuated, and we walked several blocks away from the suspect building "just in case." I'm sure there will be weeks of similar threats, and most of them will probably be hoaxes on the part of sick minds capitalizing on the situation. Unfortunately, we will have to take each one of them seriously.

Despite my fears, I'm trying my best to go to work and continue on, even though my little contributions to my company seem so trivial in light of the situation. I want to stay home and look out on the world from the relative calm of my living room. I want to stay glued to my TV set, even though those images are forever seared into my brain. But we are each part of this war, whether we like it or not. And if we allow ourselves to not go on with our lives, then they (whoever "they" are) have won.

RE: Yearning for normalcy, whatever that is ...

There was also a bomb threat where I live at our County courthouse yesterday. What is wrong with people!

Iam also having a hard time going on with my daily activities. I feel so guilty with all the sorrow and grieving families.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-01 AT 04:14PM (Est)[/font][p]I hope everyone is doing okay today... it's all just so hard to accept and understand. My cousin was missing all day yesterday, my mom just called to let me know he's been located at one of the hospitals. Some of his coworkers are still missing... this is all just too hard to grasp... my sisters-in-law lost some friends in the towers too

I hope you are all able to be with your families as much as possible, and if any of you are suffering losses, may god be with you.

We are all praying out here in the Bay Area...

I hope everyone is doing okay today... it's all just so hard to accept and understand. My cousin was missing all day yesterday, my mom just called to let me know he's been located at one of the hospitals. Some of his coworkers are still missing... this is all just too hard to grasp... my sisters-in-law lost some friends in the towers too

I hope you are all able to be with your families as much as possible, and if any of you are suffering losses, may god be with you.

We are all praying out here in the Bay Area...

RE: Yearning for normalcy, whatever that is ...

There was a bomb threat at the middle school in the city next to ours yesterday, so they closed the school.
My heart feels like it has been broken. I can't even begin to imagine the grief and suffering of the victims and their loved ones.
Erica

Hi Marnie! Oh what wonderful news, I'm so happy that your cousin is alive and well. I'm sure you have been a mess with worry. Now lets pray that his co-workers will be found too!

Bomb threat

A German teaching colleague of mine has the perfect name for it: shadenfreude (German speakers, help with spelling!) and it means taking advantage of the suffering of others (such as making a bomb threat call in the aftermath of the NY and DC tragedy, so that classes are cancelled).,

I've started to get over the feeling that "this can't be true" and accept that it really did happen (it still sometimes seems like a TV show or a nightmare!). I think it's important for us all to show that the US will go on and terrorists are not going to force us to change our way of life. I sometimes almost feel guilty for trying to get "back to normal"--how long does grieving go on?

The last few days I have felt as if I had lost a family member. I had 3 cousins who worked within a block of the WTC (all okay) and I just learned that my husband's uncle had a meeting at the WTC that was rescheduled on Mon. from the 11th to the 25th.

I keep thinking of the idea of "six degrees of separation"-how we are all connected to every other person by 6 other people.So, this tragic loss of human life affects everyone who is part of the human family. I pray for all the people who suffered a direct loss. I hope that people will continue to focus on what is good in the world instead of letting evil and hate destroy the human spirit.

Yas

Hello everyone,

I was on a plane en route to San Diego when the pilot came on and annoounced a national state of emergency, and we were grounded in Dallas. I am still in Dallas, hoping to get back on a plane tomorrow morning to get home to Raleigh, NC. As a fellow 'strandee', my heart goes out to others who are trying to get back to family and friends directly affected by this horror. Let's pray that some good can come out of this, that our strength, faith and resilience are far greater than the hate that caused this, and thank God for each and every day He gives us on this earth. Love to each and every one of you....

Colia

Hi Colia! Wow, how frightening that must have been. I'm praying that you have a very safe trip home. Please take care and let us know when you arrive!

Dear American Friends:
Our thoughts and prayers and tears are with you. Here in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, we fly our flags at half-mast and share the sorrow and loss of our American friends and neighbours. God Bless America. Take care.
Lori

Hi Lori,
Thank you so much for that nice note, it means a lot to everyone I'm sure.
So glad to hear of the lucky family & friends who are safe. I know we are all praying for those who weren't so lucky.
I am happy to report that so far Eric & I think everyone we know in New York are safe...haven't heard from a couple of people yet though.
We live in the D.C. area & Eric works there. I work right behind Fort Meade (NSA), practically in their backyard. One of my dearest friends can look out her window & see NSA. She has 4 young children. I can't help but think what could have happened in our neighborhood. Her husband is in the Navy on a submarine "somewhere in the world". That's all she knows or will know for the forseeable future. My heart goes out to all military wives & families.
Thank you for your words of comfort, Cathe, I'm so glad Adam is safe. Thank all of you, for being such wonderful people whom I feel considerably lucky to call friends. I pray you are all safe, & your loved ones.
Ruth

CATHE YOU ARE A TRUE GEM!

Cathe I've read your post and you seem to have a heart of gold.I'm not just saying that because your "Cathe" but I honestly can feel your sincerity. I will repeat what others have said about you, that you seem like an "old friend that were excercising with". My heart aches:'( for those people in New York it is a true tragedy! Anyways Cathe your great and congradulations on your soon to be youngin'.
Love, Maria from San Diego

I hope that everyone is doing okay and that there loved ones are okay. Wow, I am still numb by what has happened. Cathe, I can't wait to meet you one day and give you a big hug. You are such a wonderful person to check on your many friends here on the forum. Being overseas and military, I feel a little bit vulnerable. I am scared this time. School has been out since Wednesday. We have been on Delta.. which is the highest alert. We were told to stay in our homes. Yesterday, we could travel to BX and Commissary to cash checks and get essential items. Of course, they check you out before coming on base. We live off base, so we have to be very observant about what is happening around us. We can't hang our flags. I haven't gone to the local stores. Just being careful, I would have to have my children with me.

At home, I am from the D.C. area. My mother's friend's sister worked in the part of Pentagon that was hit. Wednesday my mother and another friend went to sit w/ their friend and wait. As of Wednesday night, they had not heard from her. We have friends who work in the Pentagon, but I know of one who is okay...we are still trying to find out about the others. My cousin lives 2 or 3 blocks from the WTC. He saw the planes hit...He is not doing so well from what my mother tells me.
My prayers and thoughts are with the families and friends who are still waiting. But we are, Americans, and we are a strong country and a strong people...and nothing and NO ONE can EVER change that.

God Bless

Lollie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.