How do I maximize fat loss without building extra muscle?

mojolisa

Cathlete
I am 5'6", 156 lbs, size 10, 30 yrs old. I have an hour glass figure (meso-endomorph), with a naturally muscular frame (think Gin Miller).

In the past year I've lost 67 lbs by exercising at home (mostly step and kick box aerobics), and also by doing weight toning. Cathe's tapes have been a God-send! I changed my eating habits to include eating natural foods like fruits, vegetables, lean meats and nuts. I do eat some dairy, but have significantly reduced starches, and have cut out processed sugar, chips, junk food, fried food, etc. I take multi-vitamins, Chromium picolinate and L-Carnitine. Now I am trying to lose my last 25 pounds, and I need help.

I don't follow any particular rotation. In a typical week, I'll do 3-4 days cardio and 2-3 days weights, with 1 day off. I don't like to use really heavy weights because I don't need anymore muscle mass, so whenever I do CTX, Power Hour, PS, MIS... my typical rule is to use no more than half the weight that Cathe uses. This seems to work well for me. I stay toned and define my existing muscle, without adding extra 'thickness'.

Now I am really toned, and overall I'm happy with the way I look in my clothes - I just need to get rid of this layer of fat that covers my entire body. My question: What is the most effective (and fastest) way to lose this last bit of fat, WITHOUT adding extra muscle mass. Should I start running? Lift heavier weights? Follow a particular set rotation? Start eating more complex carbs??? I'm waiting to hear any and all suggestions. I want to start 2002 on a positive note!!!

Lisa

Lisa,
It sounds from your post that we have a very similar build and goals. I am not exactly an hourglass, but more of an apple. I lost about 20 pounds, am 5'6" and am 28 y/o. Anyway, I am trying to lose about another 10 pounds. I also have that stubborn fat layer all over. I know I need to modify my diet to get it off, but have not really committed to that yet. I am going to try after the holidays are over. I think maybe if you add running to your routine, you may lose some extra body fat. Also, I tend to build muscle easily like you, but I find when I run, I can lift as heavy as I can go and still not become "bulky." Let me know how you make out! Good luck.
Cruncholi

Hi, Lisa. I agree with the suggestion of running. You might also want to try Spinning, if you haven't already -- that has really done the trick for me.

Finally, have you checked your calories? Is it possible you are eating too much to lose the layer of fat? When I first cleaned up my diet, I didn't understand why I wasn't dropping the fat, until I took a count and realized I was eating 2500-3000 calories per day. I was also eating way too much natural sugar with 5-6 pieces of fruit per day.

Good luck.

Running would be my choice too. It's an amazing way to quickly drop unwanted pounds and it's great for the head too!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.