How do I get rid of bodyfat? Weights or Cardio?

ellenellen

Cathlete
I don't want to get stronger. I don't want more muscle. I'm plenty strong and have nice muscles under this layer of fat. I want to get rid of about 20 pounds of excess bodyfat. How do I do it? Cardio or weights?

The short answer is: both. Recommendations for losing fat (weight) are 45 minutes to an hour cardio every day & weight work of each major body part at least twice a week. Also important is keeping your metabolism up by eating enough calories in small meals or snacks every 3 to 4 hours. Of course it is recommended to keep fat content low. Another benefit of this type of program is both the cardio (if it includes high impact) and especially the weight work will keep your bone density nice & high.
Now you will get advice from the REAL experts on the site, they are a wealth of information!
Whatever you decide, good luck with it - you are certainly not alone! :)

I agree with starlight's suggestions. Although you should give your body a full day off a week for recovery. I believe that is the suggestion Cathe has made before. (Jump in anyone if I have mispoke)

good luck on your goals,
Nikki

Starlight6,

Tell me, how is it possible for a working mom to do that kind of a workout?? I just can't afford more than 60 minutes a day (and usually it's between 30-45 minutes) to spend on exercise. I'm already sleeping less than 7 hours a day to get my 4-5 days a week exercises in! Please tell me that there are options for someone like me!!

Janick
who works 9-10 hours a day with a 1h30 total commute everyday

Janick, I totally agree with you there. I am in the same boat with the exact same commute and working hours. In addition, I am operating on much less sleep to fit in exercise. I only have one daughter who is six, so it is not too bad as far as her demands. The only suggestion I would have is to split your exercise time to 30-40 minutes of cardio morning or evening and 30-40 minutes of weights morning or evening. I prefer to do cardio in the morning, because I usually have the dinner time crunch when I get in at 6:00 pm, and I find that I don't have to wait too long after eating to fit in some weight work. In addition, I would say to take it slow and be consistent. I have lost around 40 pounds over the past 2 to 3 years, and it was agonizingly slow. The best thing to do is stick with it, make sure you are doing strength training to increase your metabolism, and the results will finally come.

I'm single with no kids so I don't have the same challenges you do but work definitely eats into my workout time. Can you take a brief break during the day for a quick walk? I'm really fortunate that my company is in a complex that takes up a block so when I have time between meetings or during lunch hour (when I can manage to take one!) to go out for a 20-minute power walk which equals ~1 mile. It clears my head and I usually think about work anyway so it's not a real break but at least it gets me moving.

As for the bodyfat question, I agree you need both weights and cardio but I see the weight work building long term benefits of strength, increased muscle and therefore increased metabolism and cardio as helping with shorter-term fat loss by burning existing fat more "quickly." There isn't a quick fix but that's how I distinguish between the benefits I've found from the 2. They definitely go hand in hand. You can do weight workouts to build nice muscles but if you don't do cardio to help burn the fat layer, those muscles may be hard to see.

Don't forget the old " calories in/calories out" factor. If you are already doing cardio and weight work but aren't seeing a decrease in body fat you need to adjust your diet. If you are taking in more calories then you are expending, even though you're getting plenty of exercise, you won't drop any body fat.

Unfortunately, it's possible to exercise and not really lose much weight. I know because I did it for years! I worked out regularly but only saw minor body changes til I overhauled my diet. Hope this helps and good luck, Sheila

Yep, to the both cardio and weights.

And, yep again to watching the calories. I was running for 4 months and didn't drop any weight or fat.

Then at someone's suggestion, I started logging a food journal. Surprise! Those little late-night snacks were really adding up and sabotaging my wight loss efforts.

Thanks everyone for your help. Sometimes I get so tired of all this tinkering I have to do to get results. I look around at people who don't exercise and feel that for all the hard work I put in I should be looking MUCH better than I do!

Don't get me wrong, I'm healthy, I'm strong, I'm usually happy about that. But DANG somedays I really think I deserve to look just a little bit like Cathe! And I do mean "little bit".

I've just been looking at this extra fat for too long now. Thanks again!

Janik,

You're absolutely right, this time crunch thing is a problem for me, let alone for someone raising kids. (You have my deepest respect, believe me.) It was hard for me when my son was growing up, but nowadays it seems like parents have even less time to spare.

I can only agree with everyone else that you have to work with the time you've got. If you can only workout once a day, have you considered circuit training? Perhaps intermixed from day to day with interval training? Those are the two most time effective workouts I can think of.

My workout schedule is not written in blood either - many times I have to come up with a compromise. Also, everyone is right that diet plays a major role (I'm sure you already know this) not only for losing weight but for keeping energy up.

I just think it's a darn shame that we live in a society where a working mother has to cut into her sleep time, which she obviously really needs, in order to fit in exercise time, which she also needs!

All any of us can do is the best we can do! You are obviously quite dedicated to do as much as you can. Good luck with it,

Ruth

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-14-01 AT 10:05AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Janik & Ellen,

Check out the thread on this forum "Strength VS Endurance". Aimee mentions an endurance rotation which helps her to lose weight successfully. Aimee always give excellent advice, so it has given me some food (non-fat of course) for thought. :)

Ruth

Hi guys!

New thoughts keep occuring to me - have you considered the Power Hour type workout (Body Pump is out now of course, but I personally think Power Hour is going to be better.) On the Video Forum under the Pic of the Day 6/13, the description leads me to believe it would be a very good workout for fat loss! Check it out!

Ruth

Hi EllenEllen,
I know what you mean about getting tired of "tinkering to get results". Most of my girl-friends wouldn't exercise if their life depended on it. They are also 35 like myself. The annoying part is that THEY LOOK MUCH BETTER THAN ME. They are every bit as firm as I am even though I do strength training and they don't. Granted most of them are naturally slim and admit that they eat whatever they want, but still I don't understand how they can be firm without working at it at 35 YEARS OLD!

Naturally slim is possible I know, but is it possible to be naturally firm in mid-thirties and later?

Am I turning green yet? Yes, I get very jealous at how much hard work I have to do just to not fall completely apart. It's getting harder each day to continue an exercise program. My diet is quite good, I must say, but it seems my body wants to turn to mush no matter what. I need some motivation or prozac or something!

Lisa

Even though though this post was not originally for me (the thread was started by Ellenellen), I appreciate the feedback I have had :)

My diet is pretty clean actually, since I joined weight watchers. I had lost an initial 10 pounds just by exercising, but since WW, the weight loss has sped up a bit. Since the end of February, I lost 17 pounds, and am now 12 pounds away from my personal goal (or one dress size). I have yet to acquire a Cathe tape (shame on me.. I know), being still pretty new to the world of video fitness. I have been doing taebo (basic and advanced), Firm and various step tapes for a few months now. Somehow, Cathe scares me, because judging by the posts here, her workouts are tough, and I am not sure I am ready to tackle them! However, I think I am already starting to find some of my workouts less challenging.

From the threads I have been reading here, I suspect that most would recommend for a newbie to Cathe to start off with Step Heat and/or the wedding tape. Would I be correct to assume that?? I am trying to figure out my next exercise video purchase, and would be very appreciative of any suggestions!

Janick

Hi Janick!

Congratualtions on your hard work. It is paying off! :7 I would recommend the Wedding vid to start off with just because you also get strength work included on the tape. An added bonus! Also, the choreography in the wedding vid is pretty basic so I think you will do just fine. Most of Cathe's tapes are very challenging, but they are very easy to modify. Good Luck and let us know what you decide. WELCOME!!!!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH :)"If You Get The Chance To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!"

Hi Lwseymour! I'm sure that your 35 year old girlfriends have a LOT more bodyfat on them than you do! They can't possibly be firm. Underneath all that clothing I'm quite sure that they jiggle. I read a thread here where someone was talking about implementing more protein in the diet as well as doing much more weight training than cardio. I tested this out for myself. I must say that only after 2 weeks of this new program, I've gained more muscle and am getting much more cut. I do 3 different exercises for each upper body part but doing 20 reps for each set. That comes out to 60 reps. For my legs I do Cathe's PSL&A but implemented a side lunge and a front squat. My legs are now getting much more cut. Try it out and see what happens. Take care, Kathy

RE: Hi Janick!

Hi Janick,

Yes, I agree completely with Debbie (hi Nana!) that The Wedding Video is the best for a first Cathe tape. Step Heat would also be great from what I hear. But my main point here is, don't be scared of Cathe! Debbie is right, any workout of hers is easy to modify, & there's nothing wrong with that. If I didn't modify in the beginning, I wouldn't be doing any workouts at all. I know you'll love her as soon as you try her!

Sorry I spelled your name wrong before! :)

Ruth

Ruth,
Funny you should mention Power Hour. I ordered it last week! I am just starting a higher rep, lower weight rotation and I wish I had Power Hour right now! I have never done this type of rotation, so I have high hopes that it will make a difference.

I am also doing 1/2 hour of cardio in the am and then 1/2 hour of cardio in the pm. It's much easier for me to fit cardio into my life in the summer.

Wish me luck!

Hi Ellen,

You bet I wish you luck!! Please wish ME luck as well! :) Those longer days of summer do help some, don't they?

Yesterday was a bad day for me - it was so humid & hazy, & I was depressed anyway. I tried to workout & finally just had to give up because it wasn't working.

Today is much better. Still humid but doesn't seem to bother me today. Why is that???

Let me know how your new rotation works out - could you share it? (I know that's a pain to do, don't worry if you don't have the time.)

I'm just counting the days until I have Power Hour!! (and the rest!) :-jumpy :-jumpy :-jumpy

Ruth,
I know what you mean about bad days. Sometimes I just don't have the will to put one foot in front of the other. Don't know why-they seem to come out of nowhere. Glad to hear today was better for you!

As far as my new rotation-I'm using running 3 miles as my morning cardio 4 x a week. Then I'm using biking for 30-45 minutes for my evening cardio. I'm doing Pilates or fitball ab workout on 2 of those days. Then I do 2 upper body workouts a week-using Corey Eversons GHAS and Gilads Arms of Steel for those. Then I'm doing one standing leg workout a week (PSLA-standing only with moderate weight or Firms LBS) and one floor leg workout a week (using PSL floor legs or Body Electric floor legs). My idea is kind of using the theory in Lower Body Solution to work the legs everyday with light to moderate weights.

I've never done one like this-so we'll see!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.