Hi Cathe, Would like help with rotation.

kelley111

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, First of all I hope your pregnancy is going well. This is the first time I have ever asked for your help. I would really appreciate your help with setting up a rotation for me. I am almost 39 (next month), 5', and weigh 120-122 which is within my weight range for most charts, but at the top. I guess this is okay, but would really like to weigh around 115. My goal is to lose some fat around my middle and shape up my outer thighs. I have all your workouts that are on DVD plus Step Jam, Step Heat, and The Wedding Tape. Other forms of exercise I enjoy are walking (I'm not into running, but would be willing to give it a try if need be.) and biking. I would really appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks for putting out all the great workouts and I look forward to what we'll see next year. Thanks in advance for any help you may have for me. Kelley

Hi Kelley! Nice to hear from you. There really is no exact rotation that you need for your goals. You simply need to apply the important elements which are weekly amounts of cardio (3 to 5 or 6 times per week), strength training (one to two total body workouts per week), stretching after each workout as well as an optional 20 to 30 minute weekly flexibility workout, and last but certaily not least, a very healthy, balanced, and clean diet.

I will help you get started:

You mention your goal being to lose 7 pounds, plus lose around the middle and outer thighs. It is safest to lose no more than 2 pounds per week so give yourself a minimum of 4 weeks to lose this weight.

I would recommend trying 4 to 6 cardio workouts per week at 45 minutes to an hour each. You should alternate activities (ie: step, walk/run kickbox etc.) as well as intensity (ie: one day long and hard, next day short and light, or vice versa). Always take one day of rest. Side note: Although we are all different, I found my middle to react very favorably to running.

For weight training I would do MIS two times per week and leaner legs one time per week. If you would rather insert PS series in place of MIS, thats fine too, but only do PS series one time per week. This will keep your muscles strong, defined, help to burn body fat, and address your problem areas.

As far as eating, keep it healthy and in check with your activity level. At the very most, you want to cut back in calories by 500 per day and exercise to expend 500 per day. That would come up just shy of a 2 pound weight loss working out 6 days per week.

Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe. I really appreciate all the help you give everyone and the wonderful workouts. I have actually tried running, but I always get very short of breath. I am probably trying to do too much at the beginning. Maybe I could try by walking at first and gradually working my way up to running. If you have any recommendations for a beginning runner, I would love to hear them. Thanks again for answering my question. Kelley

Hi Kelley, I'm glad you asked this question. I guess now I HAVE to start running at least 1 day/week. I was hoping to avoid it, but my middle is also my problem and if running will make mine look like Cathe's, well........

See ya, Robin.

Hi Robin, First off sorry I never finished our rotation we started at the Firm website. I had a lot of things going on. I'm now going to start over with the same, maybe, rotation along with the running. If you go to newrunner.com, there is a program there for beginning runners. I'm going to give this a try.

Kelley,

Did you know that is you can walk at the speed at which you feel the urge to break into a run, you can actually burn more calories than outright running? It's really hard to do but it's a kicker!

I love the "no brainer" that running is but if it's not for you, don't despair, walk FAST!

Bobbi

Hi Bobbi, Thanks for the tip. Actually I have felt this way when walking. Sometimes I give in and start jogging and for some reason jogging just wears me out. I can do aerobics for an hour without stopping, unless I'm doing Interval Max or something like that, but I cannot jog for hardly any time at all. I used to teach aerobics when I was in my 20s, was in very good shape, and still could not jog. If anyone knows why this is so, I would definitely appreciate an answer.

As for walking really fast to the point of wanting to jog, but instead just keeping the pace, this sounds great. I think I will try it. Thanks, Kelley

It's really hard, Kelley, which is why it works so well. I usually find myself wandering around, lost in my thoughts and NOT maintaining the pace!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.