Help! I messed up my BMR!

RC16

Hi Cathe,

I am new to this forum and I just want to say first of all that your stuff is FANTASTIC! Now on to my question. I am currently using an ap called "My Fitness Pal" and after reading your tips on BMR and TDEE I am a bit concerned about using this AP, simply because it has calculated my goal weight to be very low 1400. When I put my information into your workout manager system, my BMR is 1361appx. and my TDEE is 2110. I work out 5 days a week. I am currently doing the slow and heavy series, and interval training 2 days a week for my cardio. I am so confused! I don't know now how many calories I am supposed to be eating and I think that because I have been eating so few calories within the last few months that I may have messed up my BMR. I know that in the TDEE article you said that if we want to increase our BMR do weight training, but how do I do that and eat more without gaining weight? I am really trying to lose baby weight. I currently weigh 145lbs, my body fat % is 34, and I am 5'4My goal weight is 130-135lbs, and my goal body fat % is 21. I hope this question makes sense and I really need some help with this!

If your TDEE is 2110 , a 30% deficit takes you to 1477 calories. If you want to lose slower a 10% to 20% might be better. At 1400 calories at least you were not eating below your BMR.

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and slowly increase calories to the desired amount so your body gets used to more calories and you don't gain.

Joan

Thanks Joan. It takes no time for me to blow 1400 calories! I am hungry all the time. I appreciate the feedback.

RC

RC- If you are hungry all the time you probably need a lot more vegetables in your diet, the cool thing is that they take hardly any calories and are often a snap to prepare. My favorite go to is a sack of salad with olive oil dressing. The olive oil takes care of satiety because it digests slowly and the veggies make you feel full right away. I make a big tupperware of veggie soup on Sundays and it always has some cabbage, a can of tomatoes, and whatever else veggie wise I have in the fridge. I put plenty of hot chilis and some hot sauce for flavor. I add coconut oil too. My soup averages 50 cal./cup and I eat a bowl at least 1x/day, sometimes more. Its great for filling you up without filling you out ;)

Alisha

Hi Joan! If you have estimated your TDEE correctly you should be able to eat 2110 calories each day and not gain any weight. If this is the case you know that you have calculated your TDEE and calories consumed correctly. To lose weight you need to create a calorie deficit either by eating less or exercising more – doing both is best! . Your goal should be to create a calorie deficit each day of about 500 calories. This means you should be able to eat 1610 calories each day and still lose one pound each week. If you increase your exercise activity you will be able to eat even more and still lose on average one pound each week. After about 2 ½ months you should reach your goal weight! Remember weightlifting does not cause weight gain – eating surplus calories does! Weight training has the added benefit of increasing your BMR over the long run and when mixed with Cardio is the safest and best way to lose weight.

If your TDEE is 2110 , a 30% deficit takes you to 1477 calories. If you want to lose slower a 10% to 20% might be better. At 1400 calories at least you were not eating below your BMR.

Make sure you are getting plenty of protein and slowly increase calories to the desired amount so your body gets used to more calories and you don't gain.

Joan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.