Help!!! I just keep getting bigger!

boofceil3

All right I know that I am not supposed to fear heavy weights and that I am not supposed to bulk up, but I am beggining to wonder what is going on with me. Since I started doing Cathe (and some Firm tapes) over a year ago I have gained 7lbs. This was pretty significant going from 135 to 142 at 5'7. The only thing I can figure is that I gained muscle without losing any fat, I was doing cardio before but not weight lifting. My clothes still fit about the same as before but I think I look a more "beefy" now. My arms and thighs have really gotten bigger. I have some definition but not a lot. I noticed a some improvement when I added in yoga and pilates. Over the past few weeks, I have really tried to make sure I got in three solid cardios per week and I have really been watching my diet, however I haven't seen any change yet. What should I do? How can I lean out? Should I keep up the heavy weights (I have been doing the PS series recently) or not? Any rotation advice would be helpful. Also, I hate running so I would prefer to do something else for cardio. Thanks!

I know that's a scary feeling when you're working out diligently and you keep getting bigger!! My body type is prone to the same thing. I would suggest that you throw in some light weight/high rep training as lifting all heavy may be part of the problem. You need to get in some cardio, too, and I have found that some interval cardio is great to keep the metabolism going full steam throughout the day. You can pick another form of cardio such as fast walking, biking or spinning, step work, etc. Big thing, though, is watching the nutrition.......are you making good food choices? Try eating 6 small mini-meals throughout the day with a large intake of veggies, fruit and lean protein. I also like a protein drink every morning after my cardio as my first "meal". Mixing up exercise is a really good thing to do. You don't have to work "hard" each and everytime you weight train. I have Powerhour and keep the weights light and it's still very satisfying. Hope this helps,
Shara

I don't have an answer to your question, but I'm sure that Cathe can offer some good advice. But I would like to share my experience with you, which is similar to yours. You didn't exactly say how long you've been weight training (you said 1 year overall working out but cardio only before weights), so I wasn't sure how long you've been doing it. But when I started working out again (after taking a year off and having a baby) I gained weight (5 lbs or so) at first too. I started out with both weights and cardio. It literally took me 4 or 5 months to just lose what I had gained from starting to work out. So what I'm saying is that after working out for 5 months I weighed the SAME as before I started working out. BUT I had lost inches (never measured so don't know how many). Weight is not always a great indicator of workout results! Now in month 6 and 7 I have lost 2 or 3 more pounds. I finally got down to 125lbs (5'2), and would still like to get down to 120. So it took me 6 or 7 months to really start seeing the results I want. But I feel great!!!! I have been doing weights twice a week (mis or powerhour) and cardio 4 times a week (taebo,run or MIC,Interval Max,Circuit Max).

Good luck, and above all enjoy yourself!!

I wanted to reiterate the advice from the first response. I just started teaching a kickbox class in a gym that is followed by Body Pump. I never have done it and now I am in love with it. It is high rep low weight and I really like the effect it is having on my figure. Cathe's Power Hour is pretty much Body Pump so that is how you can do this type of workout. I personally would prefer doing Cathe myself but the class at the gym forces me to do it and not put it off. Try this solely for four to six weeks (2x per week) and see what happens. You can suppplement one other day with pushups and pullups. Pullups can be done at home by placing a dowel or body bar across two high stools. Lay underneath the bar with feet resting on ground. Pull your chest upwards with hands in a wide grip. The more you bend the knees, the easier it will be. You also want to try to keep your hips in line with torse and thighs but this is difficult to do in the beginning because the exercise is challenging. Just know that is the ultimate goal.

I would also recommend interval training. It is great for so many reasons including helping to increase fitness level as well as a terrific calorie burner.

As for food, try to eliminate a lot of processed carbohydrate foods like white bread. These items make me bloat so much. Try to get your carbs from whole unprocessed foods such as sweet potatoes, beans, and fresh corn. I have found this technique is ultimately healthier and helps me look a little slimmer.

I wish you the very best in your fitness goals, Cyndie

I also tend to "bulk up" but did notice a great improvement ie. leaner muscles when I started incorporating more interval training into my cardio mix and also by doing the strength portion of Cathe's CTX series twice a week. I also continued to do rotations using MIS and PS but didnt go quite as heavy.

My two cents,

Stacy

Hi - I agree with Cyndie on her points about processed carbs & interval training. Try to cut out simple carbs like bread, pasta & sugar (but remember, whole grains are good for you - these are complex carbs and contain important nutrients). Interval training has also helped me gain lean muscle by constantly improving my metabolism & challenging my muscles. I also like doing Power Hour 1x/week and MIS or PS or S&H 3x/week.
Good luck to you!

Thanks for the advice everyone. When you say to do interval training do you mean cardio intervals like in Interval Max or do you mean cardio alternating with somewhat lighter weights like Curcuit Max and Power Circuit? I really like the circuit type workouts but I'd really have to really improve my cardiovascular ability to get through Interval Max! However, right now I just have to get motivated to do SOMETHING because I am so frustrated with my results right now that I have completely stopped working out.

They're all refering to cardio intervals. You can do them with any cardio activity but limit it to 1x (2x max) each week. If endurance is the hurdle with Interval Max, just do as many intervals as you can & call it a day. Then work on your cardio endurance at a lower intensity on another day. Many people find cardio intervals are a great plateau buster.

Debra

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.