Help with a diagnosis please

SandieC

Hi Cathe and the educated crowd

I have recently started experiencing a pain in my leg and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or knows what might have caused it.

The pain is about 3 inches above my ankle bone and the area that is painful is about 3 inches long. It is only painful if I apply pressure and when I workout (cardio).

I usually do cardio workouts (a Cathe or Christi tape) 5 to 6 times a week and weight workout eg. PS or SH 3 times a week.

I have made an appointment to see the doctor, but was wondering if anyone can give me any advice in the meantime. When the pain started I took a week off excercise, and whilst it was not as painful as it had previously been, I still sometimes experienced a dull ache in that area. Over the last week it has become increasingly painful.

Does anyone have any advice.

Sandra

RE: Sounds like shin splints

Hi Sandra. Sounds like shin splints are a likely culprit to me.
While you are waiting to go to the doctor, try ice and ibuprofin, can't hurt, right?

If it is shin splints: replace old work-out shoes, consider shock absorption inserts, no super-high impact for a few weeks.

I get them occasionally from running on asphalt..I personally have found in addition to a week off, ice and ibuprofin or Aleve (45 before workout, and before bed) and sometimes wrapping the shin snug *but not tight* in an ace bandage works for me. Shin splints are painful but usually heal up pretty well if you take it easy and let them heal.

Check out WebMD.com and type in shin splints.

I hope you feel better soon. I betcha your doctor will tell you it's just some type of sports injury that will heal up fine.

Hi
You didn't mention if the pain was on the front of your leg or the back, by the calf muscle..I have been dealing with the same pain now for like almost 2 months..but in the back of my leg. Also about 3 inches from my ankle and a dull ache is the best description. It happens when I do cardio but mostly running..I also have taken time off but each time it feels fine and I restart my cardio, the pain returns. Ive been to one doctor and a new one tomorrow..The first doc told me it was achilles tendonitis..I followed his advice..rest, ice and some Aleve..went away but the pain returned.. I got some books on leg injuries and looked on the internet.. The best diagnosis is actually soleus muscle pain and achilles tendonitis..I think I may need to see a podiatrist..Apparently what you put in your shoes is just as important as a good shoe..i think I need orthotics.. I also get shin splints and from what I've read orthotics also help with that type of pain..In any case good luck and let me know how it goes..Good luck!
Vanessa

Thanks Kristin and Vanessa for your replies.

The pain is actually on the side of my leg in a straight line up from my ankle bone.

Does anyone have any suggestions for good shoe inserts to help with cushioning?

Thanks

Sandra

RE: Orthodics

Sandy,
I get mine from Lady Footlocker...there are a number of different makers, including Therlo. I never keep in the ones that come with my aerobics shoes. You can get that at FootLocker, Sports Authority, any place like that, usually about $15 a pop. THey last longer than the shoe will.
If you want to go a step up, check out Good Feet (do an on-line search). They do orthodics. These are going to be a little more expensive.
Finally, you could have a pair made by a Chiropractor or Podiatrist. Again, much more expensive, but will be molded to your foot.
I also get a sore left Achilles tendon occasionally and the same treatment was recommended as with shin splints. These types of problems can go hand in hand--once you have a sore spot, you unconsciously compensate your weight-bearing and the problem just spreads. One time the pain started in my shin and ended up in my hip. I told my doctor I finally came to see him because I thought eventually my head was just going to blow off! HA HA. Point being, good shoes are VERY important. If this is the first time your experiencing pain, now is the time to make sure you have good shoes and inserts. Feel better!

RE: OOPS

PS. When I said Aleve or Ibuprofin 45 before a work-out, I meant 45 minutes. I usually take 2 ibuprofins at a time. Also, the shock absorption in a well-used aerobic shoe generally depletes in 4 months. I replace mine every 4-5 months and donate the old ones to women's shelters. Believe me, the shoes and inserts will help tons. Try wrapping with a snug ace bandage during your workouts. It keeps the muscle from flopping around. Be sure to ice at least ten minutes after working out too.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-03-01 AT 00:29AM (Est)[/font][p]I get something like this all the time, maybe once a month or so. For me, it's just that the bones in the arch of my foot have slipped out of place and need to be put back. For some reason the pain shows up in the lower leg. My chiropractor (husband) fixes it, takes about 2 seconds, and within half an hour I'm all better. It only happens when I do a lot of step. Your problem might be different, but it could be something simple too. hth.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.