Help for "Stick Girl"

AKirkland

Cathlete
My husband and I are both thin - he calls us "Stick Boy" and "Stick Girl." We both have the high metabolism that allows us to eat a lot and never seem to gain weight, even though we are both over 30.

I am about 5' 4", 103 lbs with a small-boned frame. Bony and shapeless. I believed I was stuck with this, until I discovered weight lifting. I use the PS and S & H series and love them. (Thanks, Cathe!) I've already seen encouraging changes in muscle tone. I've learned that just because you are thin certainly doesn't mean you're healthy - I wasn't!

What suggestions can anyone give me (and hubby) for weight training, dietary and lifestyle changes that would help me continue to add healthy weight and beautiful shape? Next summer, I'd like to be able to wear shorts in public without humiliation!

Thanks,

Angela

Hi, Angela! About the only thing I personally can suggest (not being a nutritionist or a personal trainer) is: keep up the good work! The PS and S&H sets are excellent for muscle mass development. Make sure you are upwardly progressive with your weight loads - what is challenging now will start to feel easy, and adding weight onto your dumbbells and barbell is the way to go for strength and mass.

And keep scarfing good, health proteins and complex carbs! You need them for muscle development and fuel. As you build muscle mass you increase the amount of "hungry", metabolically active tissue you have, and that in turn increases the amount of calories your body burns for maintenance. My suggestion is to stay away from commercial supplements that promise muscle growth - they are unregulated, and IMHO DO NOT WORK.

Go for it!

Annette

Hi Angela, Annette gave you some great advice! I wanted to second her comment on the Slow/Heavy series. I've been using these tapes with MIS and PS, for about 8 months and I'm seeing serious muscles. Not just "toning" either. I'm talking cut defined muscles, which is my goal. S/H and PS are definitely the way to go for mass-building.

Oh, I also totally agree with Annette as far as supplements go. There's been much debate on supplements on this forum, but personally I think they are dangerous. Heavy weights + clean diet = muscle definition.

Good luck!

marnie

Thanks for the encouraging words! I am adding weight as I continue with the work outs. In fact, I've been trying to add additional weight on second and third sets of exercises, even if it means I can't do as many reps. Wouldn't this promote muscle mass as opposed to toning with lighter weights with more reps?

Concerning the "clean diet," what types of meals and snacks would you suggest? I don't go in for the supplements much, but I have recently tried adding a rice and a whey protein powder - just to experiement.

For health reasons, I've already eliminated all sugar, caffeine, white flour and highly processed junk I used to eat.

Thanks again for the advice!

Angela

Hi Angela! Personally I have more success when I increase my weight for the 2nd and 3rd sets. Even I fatigue by the last few reps. I get much better results (increase in muscle mass) with this approach as opposed to using lighter weights/faster reps. Which is why I'm loving S/H!

As far as a clean diet, it sounds like you've got the right idea. Highly-processed foods are the worst. It's common sense really. Lean protein, complex carbs (whole grains), lots of fruits & veggies... you can't go wrong. I'm not a supplement person either and I don't use protein powders, but I do take calcium because I don't eat dairy. And of course lots and lots of water! My favorite snacks are soy yogurt, fresh fruit, avocados, low-sodium bean soups, hard-boiled eggs, peanut butter on whole wheat or raw veggies.

marnie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.