Heart rate question for interval training

amybajamy

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I have been doing interval training using your DVDs and I have to give myself longer breaks in between most of the intervals. I have asthma and have always had poor cardiovascular function and I want to change that. My question: is there a percentage of max heartrate that I should be aiming for before I start the next interval? My heartrate will get into the 90th percentile during the intervals and I notice I don't feel ready to start again until I'm at around 70% (or less as the workout progresses, LOL), but I want to make sure I'm pushing myself enough to improve my cv fitness and be able to take shorter breaks in between intervals. So is 70% okay or should I push myself harder and start the next interval while my hr is higher?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Hi Amy! Interval training is very hard for those with asthma and depending on how bad it is and if it's exercise induced, this type of training may not be ideal.

During your workout try staying at a consistent speed that's fast enough to be breathing heavy, but not so fast that your chest hurts because your airways are constricted. You can definitely do short spurts of working a little harder, but just be aware of your breath, and work at a pace that your lungs can keep up with.

Hi Cathe,

I have been doing interval training using your DVDs and I have to give myself longer breaks in between most of the intervals. I have asthma and have always had poor cardiovascular function and I want to change that. My question: is there a percentage of max heartrate that I should be aiming for before I start the next interval? My heartrate will get into the 90th percentile during the intervals and I notice I don't feel ready to start again until I'm at around 70% (or less as the workout progresses, LOL), but I want to make sure I'm pushing myself enough to improve my cv fitness and be able to take shorter breaks in between intervals. So is 70% okay or should I push myself harder and start the next interval while my hr is higher?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Are you using an inhaler? I have been diagnosed with exercise induced asthma. Xoponex has saved my life. I use it 30 minutes before my cardio workout. I also drink about 3-4 ounces of espresso coffee. This has worked for me. I still can't do a lot of the jumping in Cathe's workouts but at least my breathing doesn't cause me to fast forward through the dvd to the stretch segment.

Thanks Cathe and Melagras.

I have a xoponex inhaler too and my asthma is very well controlled with Advair. My problem isn't asthma during exercise, so much as just taking longer to recover for the next interval. I do the interval, but there's no way I can start the next one in the alotted time because I'm still breathing too hard. I think I can improve this, but I don't know if I'm giving myself too long to rest to see improvements. I admit I haven't been doing hiit lately, but I want to make it a regular part of my routine.

Thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.