Having pain in my groan

L

Lora

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-00 AT 10:11PM (EST)</font></center>

For years I have had pain in my legs area where my leg is attached to my hips. In the front. It doesn't bother me when I do step workouts but it does when I run or go on a strenuous hike, up and down mountains. Stretching that area out before I run helps some, but if I run longer then 30 minutes it hurt no matter how much I stretch. Often times I will stop and do some more stretching but it never completely goes away until I stop running. Would you happen to know what might be causing this? And could you give me some added stretches, other then what you do on your videos, that might help. Have you ever heard anyone else with this kind of pain? Thank you for your help. Lora

PS. Just looked at an article at runners world and they mentioned something called, iliopsoas tendonitis, that is very common in ballet dancers. I use to do ballet. I find there articles a bit hard to understand. If you know what it is could you translate for me?

Oh, Lora!!!

I know that this pain is serious, and that you are concerned about it, so I really HATE to be sitting here laughing, but I about spit my tea on the keyboard when I read "I have a pain in my groan" --Obviously you meant groin but that is one of the funniest typos I've ever seen! Bless your heart! Please forgive me for laughing! I hope that somebody more knowledgeable than I can give you some help!! Hey wait, just to atone for myself, I'll go dig out the Sports Medicine Bible and see what it says. . .

Back in a flash. .. .

OK, looks like the Iliopsoas is another name for the hip flexor. Iliopsoas tendinitis is an inflammation of the main hip flexor muscle where the muscle-tendon inserts into the thigh muscle. Onset of symptons is gradual. Main symptom is pain and tenderness where the tendon inserts into the thigh bone, also pain in the groin area when the athlete tries to raise the knee to the chest against resistance.
I.T. is caused by repetitive hip flexion, athletes at risk are those who engage in strength training, esp those who lift weights which involve bending into the squatting position. It may also occur in runners if they train in snow or water (against resistance).
Cease the activity that caused the condition. Take Ibuprofen for inflammation and pain. Graduatlly work back into sports when the pain goes away. Seek medical attention if the condition persists for more than two weeks. TAKE THE TIME TO RESOLVE THIS because more severe cases can be frustrating and time consuming injuries to resolve.

OK, this is going to get long. I am going to describe some rehab exercises:

1. seated leg rotations- sit on table, lower legs hanging (not touching floor). Turn lower legs alternately inward (toes together) and outward (heels together)

2 and 3. Lying knee to chest and standing knee to chest- Lie on back, pulling knee toward chest, alternating legs. Then standing, pull knee to chest, alternating legs.

4. and 5. facedown leg lifts- lying facedown on floor, raise legs alternately. Advanced version, lie facedown on a table with upper part of body on table and legs hanging off, raise legs alternately.

6. and 7. lying leg bends- lying on back, alternately move both legs outward and inward (like making snow angels one leg at a time). Advanced version, do the same exercise but this time with the moving leg raising 2" off the floor

8. leg swings- place hand against a wall for balance and stand with weight on one leg. Swing the other leg across your body, then away from your body, and switch.

NOTE- these exercises may not all be specific to your injured muscle but will rehab (improve strength and flexibility in) your entire groin area, which is a good idea. Since I had a rotator cuff injury about 6 months ago I have become a FIRM believer in PREVENTATIVE REHAB! I do "rehab" exercises for my shoulder and ankles (my two weakest areas) all the time, just watching TV at night, to keep those areas strong and flexible and to prevent injury. I'd WAY rather prevent one than recover from one!!

OK, so those are the "level 2" rehab exercises. If it sounds like iliopsoas tendinitis is your problem, do these exercises. If you can do them WITHOUT PAIN, post back and I'll give you level 3. I'm not going to type all those out until I know you need them!! I hope this helps and I hope you can understand how very funny your thread title is!! hehe!! Still smiling, and hope this was helpful, susan p

. . . and a completely irrelevant comment

why is it that a tendon is a tendon but when it gets inflamed it becomes a tendin? As in "tendinitis"? --I think "tendonitis" is a much more logical spelling, don't you?

BTW, I heartily recommend The Sports Medicine Bible by Dr. Lyle J. Micheli, M.D. GREAT BOOK for the home exerciser to self-diagnose and self-treat with, or to understand why and when it's important to see a professional.

Thanks Susan.

By the way that wasn't a typo. I just didn't know how to spell it and since I wrote groan and that's a real word, so the spell checker didn't pick it up on my title. But maybe that's a good way to get peoples attention. Write a crazy title and get more replies. Might try that more, I love getting responses.
My pain isn't very bad. That's because I stop before it really starts to hurt. I will give these exercise a try. It does hurt in that precise area so that's probably what's happening. I have a feeling my years of ballet may have had something to do with it. That's was along time ago but maybe something isn't right in there.
Funny what you observed about the word tendinitis. This spell checker has it spelled "tendentious" never heard of that. Maybe someone that know Latin would have a clue why it's spelled like that.
That sound like a good book to have. Thanks allot and I'll let you know if those exercise help. I'm still tying to get back into running. My dog loves it when I take her.
Glad I gave you a good laugh.
happy.gif
Lora

I thought you meant to type that!

My husband and I are always joking about the groan area. I think actually some comedian had a line involving his "groan area" (for some reason, is seems to fit Archie Bunker, but I like to beleive it is more recent than that). Anyway, you are in good company- someone made quite a bit of money from that line at one time. BLinda

I think "groan" is an accurate description! LOL!

Hi Lora,

Because that's what that pain makes you do!
happy.gif

I know exactly what you're talking about. I had that same exact pain last summer when I added running to my fitness program. My right hip flexor would get REALLY tight when I ran, but I had been exercising for years (step, hi/lo, etc.) and it never had bothered me before. In my case, I strongly believe that it was due at least in part to a leg length discrepancy. I have a slight scoliotic curve in my lower back (that I didn't know about until last September, and I'm 34), which causes my right leg to be functionally longer than my left. That puts more stress on my right (longer) leg. Thinking back, the hem of my pant legs has always been closer to the floor on my left leg. The leg length discrepancy (which is actually quite common) and/or consistently running on the same side of the road if it's cambered could potentially contribute to that. It couldn't hurt for you to see a sports medicine doctor or a sports medicine podiatrist to see if that isn't your problem. If it is, a heel lift in the shoe of your shorter leg might solve your problem. Hope this helps!
happy.gif

Kristin

Hi Susan!

First of all, thank you so much for taking the time to type that answer out. That was the exact pain that I thought it was after reading the post and was going to post a similar answer. But then I skimmed down and saw that you already did it. Thanks for your thorough answer.

Second, we must be on the same wave length as far as the tendINitis spelling is concerned. I just had this discussion with my friend today. I put up the same argument of why it is not tendONitis. Especially after the spell check on my computer corrected me from IN to ON. I said wait a minute.....as much as I'd like to agree with my computer about the spelling, it is spelled tendINitis. Just thought I'd share
happy.gif
!

Hi Lora!

Sorry about your ache. Just thought that I'd also share with you that many active treadmill runners get this pain too. I think much of their pain is due to jumping on and setting their speed to their running pace before doing a thorough warm up. And as you know, if you do not keep up with the belt speed, you will just fly off the end of the treadmill. Another thing I see occur with some treadmill users who choose to walk briskly is that they try to maintain a walking pace at a speed that should be a running pace. Doing this places considerable wear and tear(strain)on the tendon. Just sharing some points of interest.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.