Forward Lunge Modification Question

zoelda

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I notice that I feel much better doing the pre-exhaust forward lunges onto my step instead of right onto the floor. Do I get enough benefit from doing lunges this way? I work hard to focus on proper muscles/form, etc. It just seems SO much easier on my knees!

Thanks!
Zoelda

In Body Max, Cathe offers the option of front lunges on the step-- "the easier version" or on the floor -- "the more advanced version". So I'd say, sure, you benefit from them. And if makes your knees feel better then, by all means, do them on the step. Consider if you can up your weight a bit or do an extra rep on each leg if you don't want to be doing "the easier version." Jeanne

I like doing static lunges with my front foot on an '8" step. Karen Andes recommends them in "A woman's book of strength". By having your front foot elevated, you can dip your buttocks lower than your knee without putting undo stress on the knee joint. Then when you push up through your heel, you really feel it in your glutes!

Thanks! You know I wondered about that... because I agree, I can dip lower into the glutes when doing the lunge on the step.

Take care,
Zoelda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.