Floor instead of step?

Harley Quinn

Hi Cathe,

I am a home exerciser and have tried many workouts but am really bored with my routine. I have always wanted your collection but I am daunted by the fact that just about every DVD requires a step! I used to have one but got rid of it because it was wreaking havoc on my knees, no matter what I tried. So, is there any hope for me with your DVDs? I'm not sure if this could apply, but I've seen some retail workouts that use a step and a background exerciser will show a floor modification. Can anyone make up that option on their own (of course realizing that the intensity will lower)? I do have a barbell, weights, bands, and a stability ball.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Chris

Chris,
Not Cathe of course, but Power Systems sells this thing called the mat step that gives you a place to place your feet. It is expensive ($34.95) I think because you can probably make your own cheaper.

The link is: http://www.power-systems.com/p-2790-mat-steptrade.aspx

There description is: "Use this impact-absorbing, ergonomic mat in place of a step in aerobics class. Provides a target area for following footwork and sequences. Makes routines less intense for those who have limited mobility or previous injuries. 36" L x 17" W x 1/8" thick. 3 lbs."

Cathe may be able to tell you how to modify strictly on the floor.

Saundra

Are you wanting cardio, weights, or both? She has some very good kickboxing DVDs and for the weights, you don't have to have a step. Some parts require something of some height for leg presses, as an example, but if you have a sturdy step stool or ottoman, that would work too. The only problem is that you can't adjust it.

Hi Cathe,

I am a home exerciser and have tried many workouts but am really bored with my routine. I have always wanted your collection but I am daunted by the fact that just about every DVD requires a step! I used to have one but got rid of it because it was wreaking havoc on my knees, no matter what I tried. So, is there any hope for me with your DVDs? I'm not sure if this could apply, but I've seen some retail workouts that use a step and a background exerciser will show a floor modification. Can anyone make up that option on their own (of course realizing that the intensity will lower)? I do have a barbell, weights, bands, and a stability ball.

Thank you!

Best regards,
Chris

Hi Chris! If you enjoy step and the only thing holding you back is your knees then put down a flat mat to simulate a step (so you don't get lost trying to follow where your feet should be) and do the workout grounded with a weighted vest on.....oh yes, you'll sweat! ;) Just don't do any impact moves so that your knees remain issue free.

Hi Chris! If you enjoy step and the only thing holding you back is your knees then put down a flat mat to simulate a step (so you don't get lost trying to follow where your feet should be) and do the workout grounded with a weighted vest on.....oh yes, you'll sweat! ;) Just don't do any impact moves so that your knees remain issue free.

Hmmm....pushing me yet another step closer to getting the vest...;)

Hi Cathe, thank you so much. I'll definitely return to step workouts but with a mat! And the weighted vest sounds awesome; I never would have thought of that.

meowracer, I am interested in the weight workouts as well. I love heavy weights. I do see what you mean by the leg presses. I'll see what I can find around the house or perhaps substitute lunges--those are always killer and one of my weak spots.

Thanks again everyone! :)

Chris

My plantar fasciitis is bugging me today, so I did the warm up to SJP using a mat instead of my step, and it worked pretty well. The mat moved around a bit, though.

Does anyone own the mat that Saundra linked to above? Is it good and/or worth the money? I know it's come up in the past...did anyone buy it?

My plantar fasciitis is bugging me today, so I did the warm up to SJP using a mat instead of my step, and it worked pretty well. The mat moved around a bit, though.

Does anyone own the mat that Saundra linked to above? Is it good and/or worth the money? I know it's come up in the past...did anyone buy it?

I would like to know the what others who have the mat step think as well. I have been tempted to purchase it, but I think I can cut up an old yoga mat to do the same thing.

Saundra

Hi
I have the mat step and use it occasionally when my knees are acting up. It does move around a bit, which bothers me. A cut yoga mat may work, I just hope it doesn't grip your shoes or something like that when you may need to pivot.

Jen

another option

You could always put a tape outline of the step on the floor. This way you don't have to worry about it moving.
chrissy

Isn't it funny how someone can come up with such a quick simple solution. I would have never thought of tape on my own :confused:

Hey guys,

I will be using some connecting mats that I have lying around here. They are shock absorbing. Not puzzle mats, but produced by Ironman specifically for exercise rooms.

I have 4 Day Split on its way to me. :) I'm pretty well-tuned in modifying everything (Turbo Jam, plyo routine of P90X, etc) so it shouldn't take much work. I just hated having to pass by workouts that I know I'd love--Cathe's--so hopefully I won't have to anymore. My knees have always been tricky, even when I was a child, so it's kind of a curse... but why stick to other workouts if I don't like them anymore? ;)

Chris

Mats,Mats,Mats

I found a mat that was perfect for my needs at www.matsmatsmats.com. It's labeled as an Aerobic/Fitness Mat that comes in 2 sizes and thicknesses. This mat sticks to the floor without moving all over the place ( I can pivot without any problems on it). Only issue is that it's a bit wide (had to alter mine to accomodate the dimensions of a regular step). Try this, see if it works for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.