flexibility training

R

rachel2

Hi Cathe:
Prior to my last pregnancy, 20 months ago, I was an advanced martial artist. My training required a lot of strength, stamina and flexibility. Your strength and cardio tapes have kept me in "fighting shape", so to speak. However, because I haven't had time to create a program of my own I have lost a lot of flexibility. I have just acquired a yoga tape and am wondering how to add it to my routine....prior to strength or cardio training..after strength training...alone on a day by itself... In addition, I must add I do like to up the weights and sometimes am quite sore and am concerned about the impact of stretches on "sore" days.
Thanks
Rachel
P.S. Thanks in advance for helping me get my vertical side kick back in shape!

Hi Rachel!

Personally, if you have the time, I find that doing deep stretching after cardio is so wonderful. Your muscles are fully warmed up and you are ready to relax and hold the stretches. If this does not work for you than you can pretty much do it whenever you have time. But I feel that you need to do a good 15 minute warm up prior to your stretch workout to get your muscles ready for this kind of deep stretching.

As for stretching with the soreness, I would not recommend that a beginner stretch on top of this soreness but as an experienced exerciser, you may find these stretches to help break up the lactic acid in the muscles. However, if you are VERY sore, then I would first take one full rest day before doing the stretch workout. Have fun!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.