a few questions from someone new to your weights style

jenz

Hi Cathe,

I've enjoyed using your steady state step tapes for years. I love how you mix power moves in with choreography.

Well, I decided to get your intensity series in order to try your style(s) of strength training. And although I have some experience with weights, including CircuitMax, I have a couple questions. I've only done Cardio and Weights (very fun) and Muscle endurance so far and this is what has come up.

1. I only have dumbells. Is the dead row/clean and press move appropriate with dumbells? It feels very awkward to me. Are there any other moves that may be innappropriate with dumbells?

2. Are the demonstrated weights selected for developing a balanced body? Meaning 20lbs for biceps balances out 10lbs for triceps in the ME exercises.

3. How do you determine the correct weight to be using. Should you choose a weight where you "feel the burn" but can definitely finish the reps or a weight where you may not be able to do the last rep or two with as good form as the first rep. When do you increase the weight?

Anyway I know that these are a lot of questions. I would appreciate an answer from you or any other knowledgeable person. I just want to get the safest and most effective workout possible.

Thank you,
Jennifer

Hi Jennifer! The deadrow/clean and press exercise is probably the only move on Muscle Endurance that is more comfortable with a barbell but it still works if it is done with dumbbells. The movement will feel less controlled with dumbbells so definitely be sure to focus on your form. Go slower and with light weight the first few times to get used to the move. If you still feel uncomfortble with the move then just do all deadrows instead during that segment.

The workout is balanced in that you work each major muscle group to the best of your strength ability. There is no weight ratio equation, simply lift the most challenging weight that you can to complete each segment. If you cannot complete the last rep or two in a set, that is fine. But if you cannot complete a good portion of the set, than that weight is too heavy for you. When it gets to the point where you no longer feel a good challenge with your current weight, it is time to increase it slightly.

Good Luck!

>1. I only have dumbells. Is the dead row/clean and press move
>appropriate with dumbells? It feels very awkward to me. Are
>there any other moves that may be innappropriate with
>dumbells?
>

I don't do the dead row/clean and press as is because I think it might put too much stress on my shoulder. I use dumbells and do a dead row followed by a controlled hammer curl into overhead press. This move works just fine.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.