Explanation of "pre-exhaust" please

mkeane65

Hi Cathe! (Or anyone else who may know)....
I am doing a S&H rotation and can never understand the explanation of "pre-exhaust" during the leg workout. Cathe says that "putting 50 or 60 pounds on your back is probably difficult so we put the pre-exhaust in to help take care of that". What does that mean, exactly? It's just something I've always wondered. Thanks for the input!
Marianne

Marianne, I take it as meaning since some of us can't put 50 or 60 pounds on a barbell and then, lift it over our heads that Cathe gives us some EXTRA work for our muscles without heavy weight just to kind of warmup and also get in EXTRA reps without having to use so much weight. This helps to fatigue or exhaust the legs a bit before she hits us with more reps! :) Just my oipnion...

Here's another example from the same Bodybuilding site...

Your New Chest Building Schedule:
The following chest schedule is designed to work the entire chest area. Top -- Middle --Bottom. We will incorporate the Pre-Exhaust Principle so that maximum gains will be felt in the shortest possible time. The idea behind Pre-Exhaust is to tire out the smaller muscles in order to create a weak link in the body. Then when a combination movement is performed, the deepest cells of the weak-link muscle are dramatically stimulated, and in a way that no other system could duplicate. In the case of the chest, we are going to pre-fatigue (pre-exhaust) the pectoral area., with both incline and supine flyes. Then --Pow! We will bring fn the barbell for the kill.
Follow the routine exactly. Add no other exercises.
  1. Flat Flyes:
    Lie on your back while holding a pair of dumbbells, allowing your arms to bend slightly, lower them to the side at right angles to the body. Raise and repeat for one set of twelve hard reps.
  2. Incline Flyes:
    Immediately follow the previous exercise with a further twelve reps of incline flying. Again, allow the arms to bend slightly while holding a pair of dumbbells. Use as much weight as you can in good form.
  3. Decline Bench Press:
    Now the heavy artillery. Adopt a declined position, as shown. Since your pectorals have been pre-fatigued by the two lots of flyes, and the triceps are entirely fresh (and strong), this barbell pressing will bring about the most sensation growth prompting pump you've ever experienced.
Perform the sequence a total of three times. Do not rest between sets, but allow yourself a one-minute rest after the decline barbell presses. You will see great results. More than you can believe.

Debbie......wow....thanks! Such a quick and complete reply. I really appreciate all the information. Cathe Forum people are great!! Thanks again :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.