Exercising after pigging out

lis1

Cathlete
I'm in college and I try to eat somewhat well during the week. On the weekends, I eat whatever I want. Sometimes, after I've eaten a lot of junk food, I'm not motivated to workout because I think that the cardio will hardly burn off any of the food I ate. How can I get out of this mindset?
(I don't have a weight problem, but would like to lose 5 lbs)
Thanks!

I do NOT think that you should get OUT of this mind set. I worry that if you think you can exercise to "purge" a binge, that you are setting yourself up for exercise bulimia. You've already figured out the math. YOu can not undo a pig out session with exercise.

Develop a regular exercise schedule, stick with it no matter what you eat, good or bad. After a pig out, eat a LITTLE less the next day or two.

If you only want to lose 5 pounds, don't sweat it. This is not much.

Jeanne

Hi Lis! Oh college is a tough time :)! Fast foods surround the campus inside and out. That lethargic feeling is most likely do to the overload of carbs and high sodium in your system (of couple of culprit ingredients in fast foods). They make you feel sluggish and lazy. Suggestion: If you find yourself in this situation again, a few hours after you eat, a mild workout will get your blood circulating and help aid in the digestion. Added Bonus: You may even find that you don't feel like eating a whole bunch of junk food again after that workout.

Good luck, eat sensibly, and keep fit!

Exercise FIRST! I always find I can resist junk food when I've exercised because I think of the junk as something which turns a lovely run or step session into a waste of time. Plus endorphins are so much nicer than food induced feelings of wellbeing! You have the answer. You know it's a "mindset". Isn't it a woman's perogative to change her mind?

Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.