Exercise for your type

slenamond

Cathlete
Cathe:

What is your opinion regarding the "exercise right for your type" theory? Where they say certain body types should not do certain exercises because they will do little for your shape.

I am 5'1 the type that has pretty good muscle all over but mostly bottom heavy (thick thighs & butt). They say I should not step or stairstep. Well, I will NEVER give step up totally, I love it too much. However, do you think I should limit step and walk/jog more to tone down my legs? I just want to get the most "bang for my buck" timewise.
Thanks for your input! Sharon

PS Can't wait for my new tapes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for making more!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course I am not Cathe. I am interested to see what she would say about this concept. I am a personal trainer and I think it is absolutely ridiculous. Here is why I think that. In every single muscle group in the body there are two different types of muscle fibers--fast twitch and slow twitch. Each of them are trained differently. The fast twitch are utilized for intense, powerful bursts of movement such as weight training, plyometrics, sprinting, basically anything anaerobic. The slow twitch are our cardio fibers that are used for stepping and all other forms of cardio. So you see this concept is inherently false. YOU CANNOT BUILD BIG MUSCLES BY DOING CARDIO! It just makes me so mad because as a trainer I try to promote reasonable and healthy exercise and diet programs. These people make my job so much harder because they keep perpetuating the idea that there is some magic formula that will solve everyone's problem. It is a fraud. It just goes back to the same old thing--consistent, intense exercise and a good diet.

In response to your problem areas, I have found that using tubing instead of really heavy weights for the lower body has helped a lot of my clients. Over time it has helped them to streamline their legs. It may or may not work for you but I feel is worth mentioning.

I hope this helps. Forgive me if I sounded a little aggressive. As I stated, I just believe so strongly about fraudulent exercise claims. I also want people to not waste their money on these half-baked claims.

I wish you all the best in your exercise goals. Take care, Cyndie

Cyndie
I did not think your reply was too agressive, in fact I found it very informative and want to thank you.

The information was so helpful I saved it.

Also, I had fast twitch and slow twitch turned around!!

Thanks again!!

Fannie

Sharon -

I am built like you but am 5'4, 130-135 lbs, size 6. I can't wait to hear all the responses to your question. I always like to know if I am doing the right thing for my build. I don't want to look any bigger than I look now muscle wise. I have short legs and build muscle easily. I have found that running makes my legs thinner but I think it is increased cardio getting rid of a fat layer over my muscles. I think diet is a big part of it for me ( I really have a poor diet). Step seems to be kinder on my hip and knee joints so have sworn off running. Good question! Please give us your opinion Cathe!

Ellen

Hi. I would also like to respond to this. I'm only 5', 120 pounds, and wear a size 5 or 6. I am also heavier in the butt and thighs. I used to teach step aerobics and although I felt I had a big butt, everyone thought I looked great. I would like to say that I've lost 1/2" in my thighs since I started doing Cathe only tapes about 3 months ago. That tells me that Cathe tapes, strength and/or step, are fine for any body type.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jun-19-01 AT 06:33PM (Est)[/font][p]I just wanted to comment that Cathe has said that each persons body will react differently to different types of cardio and weight training methods because of our genetics. For example, if 2 people did the same exact weight workout one might build bigger muscles than the other just because her genetics is different. I know Cathe has said to experiment with different types of exercises to see which your body responds to more to get
the results you are looking for. I think the concept is to find the exercises that are right for you personally.

I don't think that someone should say if you have a this body type you shouldn't do such and such workouts. It should be that you should experiment with different types of workouts and see what works best for you based on your genetic makeup.

I have never seen anyones butt get bigger from doing step.

There is a good article in the new Oxygen magazine about this issue. They interview a fitness competitor with short stocky legs.

She said she slimmed her legs by doing lots of cardio and working her legs with lots of repetitions, and yes she does squats. She just doesn't use real heavy weights. Any of Cathe's leg tapes
would fit the bill here.

They give an example of her routine. It's in the current issue
so go out and look at it and see if it's something that you might like to try.

I don't think you should ever feel you have to give up an exercise you LOVE to change a body part. God has blessed many of us with the ability to enjoy movement. Cosmetic results are great and variety challenge is wonderful (try running, you may really enjoy it), but ultimately, enjoyment of exercise is a blessing---something to be enjoyed. Have a wonderful week!

Just what I think....do what you want! I found that rowing on a Concept II rower really leans out my legs and gives me nice cut on my arms. I am 5'10" and don't bulk, though.

Marcia, freezing in northern Sweden

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.