exercise with head cold?

soccermom

Cathe-
Do you think that it is okay to exercise when you have a sinus cold? Is it a good thing to "sweat it out" as long as you don't have a fever? What do you do when you have a cold, considering it would probably be difficult to stop teaching your classes?
Soccermom

Definitely not Cathe, but I always just listen to my body. If I feel really weak and tired, then I'll take a rest day. If I'm feeling fine, but stopped up, I'll exercise. Actually, for me, when I start sweating, I also get a runny nose which clears my sinuses out. Sounds gross, but it works.

I agree with Kelley. If I feel too weak, I won't workout. However, if I have the strength and energy, I am up for the challenge. I find a good sweat session really helps my cold recover faster. I don't know if it is proven medically, but I when I work out w/ a cold it shrinks the duration of the cold. Actually, if you are eating clean and working out regularly (appropriately, too), it can help ward off the colds. Sure, they will still creep up but not as often.

Finally, it could be a combination of factors that help ward off a cold quickly. I eat pretty healthy, workout frequently, wash my hands, take supplements, and listen to my body. Hope this helps.

Also, I hope you feel better QUICKLY:)

Listen to your body. Sometimes when your not feeling well it's best to just rest. As long as you don't have a fever and you have the energy, go for it.

I just did this Friday last week. I haven't felt well enough to work out since. And now my head cold has migrated to my chest. Hope we get well soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.