exercise

cajun63

I have 9 types of artritis - I recently had both hips replaced. During my physical therapy, I began building ups my leg muscles. I have been trying water therapy, and the age old excuse, finding time and babysitters are hard. ( I have a 9 yr old and a 3 yr old). I want to do something at home - I walk about once a week. Unfortunately, I do have many flare ups and exhaustion is part of my illness, but I want to continue moving and building my muscles up again. I tried step aaerobics in 1990 during a remission and thoroughly enjoyed it, and would like to try again and didn't know if you had a simple low impact program I could follow. Thank you for your time. Cindy:)

Not Cathe here--I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Cathe has some great low impact workouts, though. For instance, Low Impact Circut, Low Impact Step, Cardio and Weights, and Body Fusion. I'm sure there are more. Hopefully Cathe or others can help you a little more than I can. Good luck!

Allison

Hi, Cindy. You might want to start with "Basic Step". The choreography is pretty basic and there in no impact at all. This workout comes on the same DVD as Body Fusion which is another great beginner workout. Body Fusion alternates aerobic step work with light weight strength training. The stepwork has a little more impact than Bsic Step, but you can modify the impact/step height. Another great low impact, beginner workout is Low Impact Step. This particular workout alternates stepwork with intensity blasts(just two). This one might be too much on the joints for you, but you can always modify. Check out the DVD clips of the workouts I suggested and see what might work for you. HTH

Bertha

I am right there with you. My biggest problem is RA. I follow Cathe's workout religiously, but I modify everyone. IE: I use canned veggies as weights, they're easier to hold. Instead of a medicine ball I use a small volleyball. I can't attempt to lift 40 lbs, but I use a long broom handle to do lifts and presses. To add resistance to this I use an empty milk container partially filled with water. The hardest thing to do is just keep moving. Start slow, 5 maybe 10 minutes to start. Increase 5 minutes when ready. But just force yourself to do it. Stay mobile is the main focus. Best Wishes, Rose

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.