eating before workouts-how much time to wait?

MsFitQuest

I've always been curious about this since I've always heard soo many different answers. If I want to do a strength workout in the morning(I'm a morning exerciser as soon as I'm up) how long do I have to wait to weight train after I have a nutrition bar? Can I eat and workout 15 minutes later or is that too soon? I feel by waiting around I'm wasting time I can be using and it throws me off sometimes from doing weights because then I have to be up too early to wait for the bar or food to go down before I start. I'd appreciate any answers from those of you who weight train first thing in the morning or from those of you who may have read info on it. TIA!
Nancy

Eating before workouts is a bit of trial and error and there is no one right answer. There is nothing wrong with working out right after you eat your bar if your stomach feels fine. You can even nibble on it during the workout. The crucial thing is eating afterward. Studies show that carbs and protein are better utilized when consumed within a short period of time following the workout. I think it's something like 45 minutes or less after completion that you want to replenish your body. This is especially important because of working out in the morning. So eat heartily when you are finished. The best things to eat prior to the workout are easily digestible items in moderate quantities. You don't want to overeat which will slow digestion and you want foods that will enter the bloodstream rather quickly. These are things like yogurt, toast, banana, etc. Hope this helps. All the best, Cyndie

Do you mind if I add to this question? I too, am a morning exerciser and so far I eat nothing before I workout for 1 to 1and1/2 hours. I barely have time to jump in the tub before my stomach says, "ya gotta eat!". I'm very carefull that I eat a well balanced breakfast and snack before and after lunch.

So here's the additional question: Is not eating anything before working out first thing a big no-no? And one more: How about not eating before a 2 hour workout (cardio + weights) first thing in the morning?

Jodi (or question girl!)

Hi, I read your post and dug out a recent article from "Fitness" magazine I kept. According to their sources:
"The optimal pre-workout meal should include protein and carbs. This will give you sustained energy so you won't run out of fuel in the middle of your workout." They suggest a 200-300 calorie snack such as a handful of dried apricots, whole wheat crackers and 2oz turkey, or a fresh fruit salad and yogurt one to two hrs. before hitting the weights.
They additionally suggest eating a combo of carbs and protein no later than 2hrs after strength training-it promotes muscle recovery. They suggest yogurt and fruit, 1/2 bagel w/peanut butter or a handful of whole-grain crackers w/cheese.

Now, that's what "they" say, personally, I usually workout on an empty stomach if I workout within an hour of waking, but if later in the morning, I'll eat a yogurt topped with grapenuts (173 calories) and workout like 30min later. Then I'll eat a modest breakfast after my workout.
Hope this helped!

If you are working out straight out of bed, it's not necessary to eat anything before. It's going to be a minimum of an hour, and more like several, before your body will have broken down the food enough to access it. You will have enough stored energy to sustain you for 90 minutes to 2 hours. If your workouts are longer than that or very intense, you need to eat first.

Digestion is a complex process and asking your body to both digest and workout can be detrimental. Exercise diverts the blood flow away from the stomach to the muscles being used and you could experince nausea if you eat too heavily. Protein and fat take longer than carbs, so if you really need to eat I'd stick with cereal and fruit.
Persoanally, I eat afterward but everybody's different and what doesn't work for me may be fine for you.

Hi - I eat a protein/carb combo before and after weight training (like oatmeal & hard-boiled egg or peanut butter on whole wheat toast) but not before running or step. I get side stitches if I eat before cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.