Don't tell me - I'm lazy aren't I...???

web_girl

Cathlete
Hi Cathe (or educated crowd)

I commute by mountain bike (mainly off road) to work 5 days a week so am totalling about 1 and a half hours cycling (mixed flat/speed and hill climbing) a day all year round.

What I am finding is that it is difficult for me to drum up the energy (or is it enthusiasum?) to do any Cathe workouts when I get home. I aim to do weights (strength or endurance) since I have done cardio and am working with (or trying) GS at the moment. Therefore aiming for three days which isn't a lot to find I know.

I usually manage to start well at the beginning and get one or maybe two days in but by mid week I'm bushed at the end of the day. I usually do two Cathe cardio/circuit w/os at the weekend (such as Bootcamp or KPC for example).

I don't skip lunch and tend to eat reasonably well and clean as I prefer a larger lunch so I can have a lighter evening meal. I enven have a handful of nuts mid afternoon.

Any suggestions for an energy (or moral) boost?

Much appreciated.

Claire

Hi Claire

I'm not Cathe (or particularly edumacated for that matter) but I'd like to give you a morale boost. Commuting via bike is great for the environment, so I laud and commend you for that!

As for the energy boost, you didn't mention how much sleep you're getting. Are you getting plenty of rest? Is your job sedentary or are you standing a lot? How long have you been bike-commuting? Are you new to Cathe?

Give us a bit more info and the suggestions should flood in!

You are by no means lazy, though!

Lunacat

Anyone who commutes by mountain bike 5 days a week isn't lazy! :)

How's your water intake? Are you drinking water throughout the day?

HI, Claire. I have to say I am pretty impressed with you already. But you did ask for a pep talk not a pat on the back, so here goes:

If you've been doing this biking regularly, year round, then you know your body acclimates to these physical demands & may not be as challenged. You have the right idea as you say you've been doing BC & KPC. Maybe you should try one of the Imaxes once or twice a week when you have more time & no bike ride. Or even the circuit workouts to change it it up some more. Your diet doesn't sound bad either but as Luna & Marla asked, how is the water intake & sleep coming along?

Sometimes, though, you can get into a funk, just ride the wave as best you can, & when you're ready to start charging things up a bit, you'll be really ready to go.

Cheers,
Marla

Lazy? no! I think that you are more motivated than most actually! If I biked to work and back every day, I'd have less energy and may not get in Cathe's workouts religiously either. That being said, here's a few things to consider:

1. Can you do GS in the morning before work? Your energy level will be high, you will get it out of the way and you don't have to dread it all day long! (I know I do when I have an evening workout).

2. Have a little snack before you get started in the evening w/GS. I used to be very against this theory but I tried it and realized that the intake of just a bit of food gave me greater energy and increased my workout potential. Plus w/weight workouts, it doesn't bother my stomach at all to snack before weights (as opposed to cardio). If you are opposed to that, consdier a snack in the mid-afternoon that is a bit more substantial than the nuts sot hat you have some more energy when you get home.

3. Water, food and sleep are important. Are you getting enough of everything? Sometimes you might think that you are but take a closer look to be sure.

Lastly, don't be so hard on yourself. After biking home, I don't wonder why you have less energy to workout. You'll find a way to make it work!

Good Luck :)
Christine

Impressed I am. Lazy you aren't.

I find it hard to do a workout anytime I've already done something else pretty physical, even if that was for fun. Try what others at this forum have often suggested. Just get started. Tell yourself you will do 10 min or so and than give yourself permission to stop if you aren't getting into it. Or you can do strength training for just one body part/day. It shouldn't be to hard to motivate yourself to weight train for only 10-20 min.

Go get 'em girl

Hey you have gotten great advice from all the above:D I just thought that I would mention.........what about doing 1 body part per day of the GS ???? I have done this and it worked out good for me. Good luck:)

~Nicole

P:S: YOU ARE NOT LAZY;-)

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right I'm new to this site and I like what I see. Everyone supporting everyone, it's great. I have a few quesitons
I need some advice, hope you can help and email me ASAP. I'm 57 and have been exercising for YEARS, I've done Body for Life, The Firm a lot of diffent stuff. I would like your advise about which DVDs I should get from you. I like all of them, but I want to make sure I don't get anything too easy nor too hard. But hard would be better because you can always tone it down. I do aerobics and weights, do you have any suggestions??? I'm not a beginner and I don't think I'm an intermediate, any ideas for me. I was looking at your Intensity series (4) it really sounds like something I'd like. I don't have a lot of time, I usually exercise at 4:00 am five days a week, but I really only have 30 minutes. Hope you can help me?????

:+

Hi, Blamb. I'm not cathe, but a good series to look into for those with a time crunch is the CTX series. You'll have a mixture of everything & if you ask anyone else around here, Cathe's workouts wouldn't be described as easy.;-)

Marla

Can you tell me which ones are CTX series. I know I've looked at her videos, I just hope I can handle her stuff.

You're going to get tired of me

I would like to buy one of her series of DVDs do you or anyone have any suggestions of which ones I should buy.

>Can you tell me which ones are CTX series. I know I've
>looked at her videos, I just hope I can handle her stuff.

Blamb, The CTX series does come on two DVD's with six w/o's. It covers more than upper body. Look at the page with Cathe's DVD and look for CTX Express series. It will list the w/o's on the DVD's for you.

>I see the CTX is only for Upper body does she have one for
>the bottom?? Is that separate???

This includes a killer leg workout, Leaner Legs. CTX is a series. You should go for it. It sounds like what you're looking for.

Marla:)

Thank you all SOOOOOO much for the feedback. I did hate the idea of being a slacker - feel much better now.

Years ago I was into weights big time - never a body builder but was quite muscular. I decided to loose some of the poundage about three years back so needed to add intense cardio. Used to run a bit but just not a natural runner. And sitting on stationery bike or pinning myself to a stepper machine was just plain dull.

Then I discovered Cathe through Collage, bought MIC when it first came out and never looked back! I used to use Cathe cardio workouts at the weekend as I drove to work at the time so hit the weights in the gym straight after work.

I've been cycling to work for three years now - all year round (the snow can be fun!!!)

Anyway, that's a bit of a history... To the present. I love sleep so try to get as much as I can (I think I might have been a cat in a former life) and I can always sleep more than I do (of you see what I mean) but I do get 8 hours a night. Other wise I'm miserable the next day.

But water is a great point. I have a supposedly desk based job but actually move around quite a bit for meetings - when I have days like that and I'm out and about, I can get real bad at remembering to drink enough. And lots of water = lots of loo breaks which doesn't sit too well with back-to-back meetings. I just didn't really equate water with low energy levels. DOH!!!

The idea of breaking down the weights to single body parts does sound good. I do circuits such as C&W and SJP but I would through them in on the weekend. You know an intense pure cardio/interval like KPC and then a 'mixer' with weights on the other day.

So, I'll get some water down my neck, break down the weights into more sizable chunks, thank the heavens you guys are there, and stop moaning!!

Yey! I'm sorted. Now I just gotta do it I guess. 1, 2, 3, here I go guys!!!

Thanx
Claire

Thought I'd share that I just completed SS. It's no GS or ME workout admittedly but I really enjoyed myself AND felt like I had worked out. :D

I've never got on with PP or SS before but thought I had to start somewhere, upped a number of poundages to the next weight from Cathe's weight in the w/o to give me that push and it seemed to click tonight.

You guys must have been sending me good vibes or something...:7

Cheers
Claire

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.