Do you count the weight of your bar when lifting?

RWattier

Cathlete
I have a 20lb barbell that I use and then add weights to it from there. Do you count the 20Lbs towards the total poundage you are lifting?

Hope that makes sense.............Thanks!

Thanks Sabrina! I have been counting mine, but then last night I was doing PLB and thought - holy cow - what if I am not supposed to be counting that 20 pounds................

I count mine. I'm sure it is accounted for, because I have a barbell that weighs 5lbs, and there are two plates that came with it that are 7 1/2 lbs each....that would make an even 20lbs with the bar.
Namita

I count mine too. Not only do I count the weight of my barbells, I also count the weight of machines, like the leg press. What the heck, 25 lbs is 25 lbs, right?

Thanks! I was just checking bc I noticed that Cathe's crew and Cathe seem to have quite the loaded barbell, but their bar must weigh less than mine...................

I gave myself an anxiety attack last night bc I saw how they were adding 10's, 5's, and so on to their bar and I confused myself thinking that they were adding 40 pounds to the bar itself!!

I swear I am not crazy - LOL :+

I think in many of the workouts their bar is 5 pounds -- so is mine, and I always count it. If I'm lifting it, I'm counting it.

:D

>Thanks! I was just checking bc I noticed that Cathe's crew
>and Cathe seem to have quite the loaded barbell, but their bar
>must weigh less than mine...................
>

The Troy light barbell, which cathe uses in PH and some other workouts, is 5#, so more plates are added to make the total weight. I just did PLB today, and the barbell Cathe uses in that one is differnt. The plates are HUGE! So when she's lifting 40#, it looks like something Arnold would lift, and even though I'm lifting the same or even heavier weight, it doesn't look as impressive! Bummer!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.