Differences in Intensity?

jmurphy

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and All,

Like all of you before me one time or another, this is my first post.

Just a quick question regarding the difference in the Power Horseshoe. In my CTX DVDs and other videos, the move is performed with both feet landing on the step, while in the Rythmic Step DVD the feet separate. Is one move more intense than the other? More advanced than the other? Is there a difference?

I appreciate any feedback.

jm

Dear jm:

re: the power horseshoe.

Slightly different move, as you noted, because you either land with one foot on the step or witth two and therefore different intensity.

1) "CTX DVDs and other videos, the move is performed with both feet landing on the step"

this version produces greater intensity, is more of a power move, because you explode out of the move and land on the step before quickly stepping back down and repeating it with more power. It's fast paced, more of a cardiovascular challenge, that's why Cathe includes it as interval work in the middle of the routine, to get the heart rate up.

2) "in the Rythmic Step DVD the feet separate"

a much less powerful move, because you just fly over and land on the floor in the one move, rather than landing both feet on the step and then stepping down to the floor. Since this move is part of some tricky choreography, it would not be suitable to include an overly explosive move that might make getting to the next piece of the choreography too difficult. It would up the risk of injury.

Sorrry, I'm not Cathe but I saw your post and I do these two videos all the time so I thought I'd help you out...

Clare

Hi JM! The most obvious difference is the visual effect. One is more stylized while the other is more athletic. But they are both very intense. The one with both feet landing on the step gives you more stability to really push up high while the other gives you less stability therefore making other muscles work hard to make the move happen, so it sort of evens itself out. Either one is fine. Enjoy :)

Thank you to both Cathe and clareMc for your responses to my question.

I am completely challenged by all of the Cathe workouts that I have, especially the aerobic ones. (My favorite as of today is Rhythmic Step) The biggest challenge to me is the footwork and when I have this part down, I can concentrate on intensity.

All of the moves are FANTASTIC!!! Keep 'em coming Cathe!!

Thanks Again,
jm (Jamie):)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.