Deadlift question

E

ebh87

When I am doing a split rotation, would you recommend doing deadlifts on a day when I am working my back or legs? A lot of times I will end up doing back and legs on consecutive days and deadlifts are included on both workouts. I have been skipping the deadlifts on the back work (S&H, CTX), and including it with the legs instead, but I was wondering what your opinion is about this.
Thanks!!
Erica

I assume you are talking about Stiff Legged Deadlifts or Romanian Deadlifts since those are all I've seen Cathe do.

It has been recommended to me to do movements that involve legs and some other body part on leg day. (I specifically asked this of Dave Draper with reference to cleans and presses.)

But on the subject of deadlifts, I was wondering what Cathe thought of regular deadlifts--the kind where you lift the barbell from the floor each time. I have never seen these in her videos. Do you think they maybe cause too much thickness in the core/lower back area or something?

Jeanne

Hi Erica! It is not a problem at all to do deadlifts on your back or leg day since both muscle groups are used in deadlifts. You would want to try to avoid doing deadlifts on the days that your back and legs are recovering.

I'm confused now

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-01 AT 10:22PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Cathe,
I'm sorry, but I'm a little confused.
Here's a sample of what I'm talking about:

Monday - S&H chest/back - skipping deadlifts

Tuesday - PS legs - including deadlifts

OR

Monday - PS legs - including deadlifts

Tuesday - S&H chest/back - skipping deadlifts

Will this type of rotation compromise recovery of the back and/or legs? Should the back and legs not be worked on consecutive days?
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question.
Erica

RE: I'm confused now

Hi Erica! This rotation is fine. And yes, back and legs can be worked on consecutive days since it is really only deadlifts that target both of those muscle groups. If you are going to work back and legs consecutively, I would leave out the deadlifts on one of those two workouts so you are not doing deadlifts two days in a row. Although doing this is not mandatory it is probably the safest way to know that your muscles are getting proper recovery time.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.