Chest Flyes

Coloradan

I'm not sure I'm doing my chest flyes correctly. This morning instead of feeling them in my chest, I felt them in my upper arms and somewhere around my armpits. Any pointers from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Leslie

It might help a bit if you described how you're doing them, especially whether you're holding the dumbbells so that they face each other, or face outward throughout the lowering and lifting. Note that when you perform flyes with the palms facing each other, your biceps are recruited somewhat more than when your palms are facing outward. In fact, when I do flyes with the palms facing outward I often have to cut reps a bit or go with a slightly lower dumbbell weight load because the biceps aren't the helpers much!

Also, how low are you lowering the dumbbells at the bottom? One thing to pay attention to is not "over-lowering", so that the elbows and the weight load go lower than whatever platform (weight bench, step bench) you're laying on. That will recruit and often overstress the anterior deltoids, which are assisters in the flye to begin with.

Let us know how you're performing them, and if you're not doing flyes with a palms-forward position, give that a try - carefully!

Also try varying the position of the trunk, by doing flyes on a flat bench, and then on an incline bench with your head at the higher end.

Hope this helps -

A-jock

A

Thanks, A-jock!

I am holding the dumbbells with my palms facing each other; maybe I will try using the palms-forward position you suggest. I'll also try inclining the bench. I know for sure that I'm not lowering too far.

I guess I WAS doing something right, though, because when my cat walked across my chest today I could tell that I had worked it!

:) Leslie

Leslie,
I find that it helps a lot to concentrate on squeezing in with my chest when I start the upward part of the movement. I try to start the movement with my chest muscles, which seems to recruit them more.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.