Chest - Bench presses

MasonK

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. I have a question re: bench presses when working chest. I don't feel the "burn" in my chest when I do these -- I follow all of your pointers to a tee, but still feel it more in my arms than in my chest. I'm fine with the flys, it's just the barbell press that I worry I'm not doing correctly. Any advice? FYI I use MIS and CTX strength tapes. Thanks in advance and hope you enjoyed your holiday. Kathleen

Kathleen,
I had this same question awhile back and someone suggested that when you do the bench presses, close your eyes and just focus on the chest. You can kind of chant it in your mind, (chest, chest, chest) And just work on contracting that part of the body. Power of the mind is incredible. I now concentrate better on the body part I am working and it really does work. Amy Jo

Yes!

Try AmyJo's suggestion. It DOES work. Also, I feel that when I put my feet up on the bench (bent-knee position) that that helps isolate the chest MORE by pushing your back down into the bench. See if that helps, Kathleen!

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Yes!

Thanks to you both for your suggestions -- I'll give them a try -- except I have the Reebok Step and I THINK it's a bit shorter than The Step -- and would be tough to put my legs up... I will try and and all suggestions, however -- cause -- let's face it -- I could use all the help I can get in that area...HA! K--

Kathleen,
I sometimes will feel bench presses more in my triceps than in my chest. When I do, I add in a set of chest flyes (which isolate the chest and pre-exhaust it) before my next set of presses. I then feel the contraction in my chest more.

RE: Yes!

Hi,
If you can't fit your legs up on the step, you can just raise your legs in a bent position as if you were going to do a reverse crunch. This has the same effect of pushing your lower back down into the bench. Give it a try--that's what I do since I guess I'm too tall to fit my legs on the Step.
Cruncholi

Yes again!

I also use Cruncholi's position with the knees in the air many times even though I'm 5'4" and my feet do fit on the bench. It forces the back down very well. It completely takes all stress off the back.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.plaudersmilies.de/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

RE: Yes again!

Thanks everyone for all of your advice. I haven't tried these tips yet -- hopefully tonight. All the best, Kathleen

Elbow pain

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you are locking that elbow (straightening it all the way) without being aware of it.

Hi Kathleen,
For some reason, I'd never felt the 'fire' in the chest in either PS or CTX (I don't have MIS)... always mostly arms/shoulders (although I too was careful not to go below parallel.) BUT... that has changed with S&H!! Don't ask me why, the exercises are pretty much the same (flat and incline presses and flyes) but for the first time, I totally feel it in the chest and actually could *see* a chest pump (beginnings of cleavage for me, ha) after doing it for the 2nd time. I did this yesterday... today I am still sore in the chest area, a bit in the shoulders but not in the arms, which tells me I've hit different muscles than I used to. The form pointers given in other posts should help, but maybe if you try the 6 positive/2 negative count, plus the shoulder retraction, that might do it for ya! Also, in S&H Cathe uses only dumbbells, not the barbell. It seemed to make all the difference for me. Good luck!
Nancy

Hi Kathleen! I got here a little late but I wanted to highlight some of the suggestions here. DO try the slow heavy series because the slow speed, use of all dumbbells, and emphasis on a scapular retraction is usually the answer for those who find that they mainly feel bench presses in their arms. If you still do not feel it (or do not have the S&H Series) than I was going to suggest the same as Kathryn did by adding in a set of chest flys before your bench presses. No doubt that those chest flys get right in that chest! Good Luck!

Thank you for the input. I'm going to definitely try the flies first (as I just bought the CTX series 2 weeks ago - have to wait another month to order again!). Thanks again for your reply and your great tapes -- I've been telling all my buddies about them! Best regards, Kathleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.