Changing up working out

Mikkia

Cathlete
I have a question for all of you experienced gals out there. As an attempt to follow the advice of some of you on this forum concerning lowering your cardio and increasing lifting, I decided to give it a try. I used to do about 1 hour of cardio a day plus lifting for about 15 min after 6-7 days a week. To be honest, doing more cardio just gave me "permission" to eat a little more. I have now seen the "folly" in that way of thinking. Plus, I am sick of cardio, even with Cathe. This is my schedule, I don't have PUB or PLB but I am ordering them. I have ME, PP, PH, SS, MIS, and just about all of her circuits. I thought maybe:

cardio
ME
cardio
PH
cardio
circuit (bootcamp, dm, etc)
SS
Is this okay? My primary goal is to improve muscle definition and maintain weight. I already unfortunately know diet is the biggest factor. Any advice or what would you suggest?

Hi Mikkia,

I feel your pain, really. As for me, cutting back on cardio 5 to 6 times a week, will be so hard to do, just thinking about it make me want to quiver, especially if you are a cardio freak like myself. But, I believe with all that’s within me, ‘Strength Training’ is the key to a lean and muscular look. I have pondered and pondered on this for years, but to afraid to really launch out into the deep, sort of speak.

I now have to break this cardio cycle first thing every morning, starting now, starting today. And I’m going to be honest with you and to myself, it’s going to be one of the hardest things I ever done. I get struck time and time again into one mode of thinking one mode of eating. I tell ya, what has it gotten me thus far? Nothing, but thin

I ‘d suggest too you, as I encourage myself as well, to either stop doing cardio all together or do 2 cardio a week. You didn’t throw your shoe at me did you? :7 Its going to be hard, but, we’ll never know unless we try, right:)

I’m going to do a 6 week rotation, with MUCH focus on strength training and 1 or 2 cardio a week. I’m sure others will chime in as I am curious to what others have to say. Good Luck!

Teddygirl~

>cardio
>ME
>cardio
>PH
>cardio
>circuit (bootcamp, dm, etc)
>SS
>Is this okay?

Two comments:
circuit workouts and SS both have weight work in. I wouldn't do them on consecutive days (unless you want to go very light on the weights duriing the circuits, using them more as cardio intensifiers, but then why use them at all?)
Secondly, this rotation has you working out 7 days a week. To grow muscle, recovery/rest is just as important as the work itself.

To solve both problems, change day 7 (SS) to 'rest/recovery' (you may even need more, but see how it goes), and one week, do a circuit workout on day 6, the following week do SS on day 6.

Hello Ladies!!

I too, feel your pain in respect to trying REALLY hard to cut back on cardio. The way I've been "weaning" myself off is do decrease the amount of time running to around 30 minutes and doing shorter pre-mixes of Cathe step workouts. Psychologically, it has been working for two reasons: I'm still getting a cardio fix 3-4 times a week and I'm not noticing a difference in my body with respect to gaining flab. If anything, I have more time for other things in life (including a sleep-in once in a while!!) and I feel more rested overall. And since I've also been increasing the frequency and poundage of my weight training, I'm seeing lots more muscle definition in my upper body. For some reason, my lower body doesn't seem to respond as much, but that's just my body!

Which isn't to say that I still don't struggle with wanting to fit in another cardio activity whenever I can. Baby steps!

Thanks for the responses. Kathyrn, thanks for the input and noticing that I was working out 7 days a week, I only ment to do 6. I think for the circuit workouts, I just love them because they go so fast and are fun, not for any particular gain.
Teddygirl, I always thought that when people on this forum said they were cardio addicted it was a joke. I really think it is an addiction. I was (and still am) fighting every impulse in me not to add a cardio to the PH I did. I didn't do it thought. I think I need a 12 step program. Good luck to you in your request to reduce your cardio bingeing!
I also realized that I posted this in the wrong area, I should have sent it to the Open Discussion. OOPS!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.