Cathe - working out after surgery

KarenL

Cathlete
Hi Everyone!

My doctor said I could do cardio after my carpel tunnel surgery but I cannot lift weights for at least a month. Can anyone suggest a rotation that will keep my legs, upper body and abs in great shape while I recover? I have all of Cathe's tapes. Just love, love, love them!

Thanks!

KarenL

Karen, can you kickbox? It would certainly be a great total body workout but wonder if you should be forming a fist during your recovery?

If you want to do weighted lower body work, you could get a vest. Do a search in the other forums. Aquajock is a big fan & has posted guidance on what type to buy. You can also do a lot with ankle weights & tubing/bands for the lower body while remaining hands free. Don't underestimate the effectiveness of unweighted lower body work - squats, lunges, etc.

While yoga would be out, pilates would be an option. At least you'd keep working your back along with abs & legs.

Good luck with your surgery.

Debra

What great advice! Thank you so much. Are there any other kick boxing tapes out there that are like Cathe's? I love her workouts so much that I haven't bought any other tapes in about five years.

Can you recommend any lower body tapes that are non weighted? Or should I just do lots of repetitions without any weight?

Thanks for your help!

Hi Karen,
One that comes to my mind is called "Karen Voights pilates total body training" You use it with a resist a ring. I don't know why they called it total body because she worked primarily the lower body, but it is a good workout esp. those inner thighs. You can go to collage.com and watch a clip and check out all that they have.Hope this helps:) Good luck with your surgery!!

Take care,
~Nicole

I'm almost the last person you should ask about kickboxing workouts! It sure seems like the premixes on the KPC DVD would keep you busy for weeks. Most are combinations with Legs & Glutes which has a lot of lower body work with ankle weights. I suspect you'd find going with body weight only on the barbell/dumbell exercises still hit the spot when combined with the kickboxing.

Karen Voight's newer yoga inspired tapes are the only workouts that I know about that are weight free. But again, I'm not a very good resource. Leaner Legs has so many reps, that I would think you could get a very effective workout. You'd have to hit the floor to work hamstrings on a box or stability ball. Legs & Glutes would also be effective (the basic workout instead of premixes).

I've been watching a little too much FitTV & on many of the shows, they have someone doing everything without weights, including upperbody. So you could give workouts like Circuit Max a try, & see if you can get anything out of it. You'd really have to focus on the muscle you're trying to work.

If you post on the "other videos" or "open" forum, I'm sure you'll get a lot more feedback.

Debra

You all are great. Hmmm.......maybe I will have to buy the kickbox Dvd. Such great advice. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I feel so much better knowing that I can keep on working out without dumb bells and still really work the muscles!

xxxxxxx

KarenL

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.