Cathe...Weight training?

katia7

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I love your cardio vids and wondering if I need to add weight training.
Here's my problem... I'm 5'0 (have short legs)and tend to bulk up in legs. My goal is to loose 10 lbs and get toned. Here's my questions...

Is weight training necessary for everyone for best results or doing cardio (step and kickboxing) will do the job? Or does it depand on individual's body type?

Can you suggest a video that will tone the total body and will make short legs appear longer and leaner? How much weight should I be using?

When adding weight training, should I substitute it for some of my cardio days or should I weight train in addition to 6 days of cardio?

Thanks so much
Katia

Hi Katia! Yes, I think any person gets best results when doing BOTH weights and cardio. The health benefits alone speak for themselves but also introducing your body to various fitness approaches will inspire continuous and progressive results.

As far as lifting weights and weight loss, the more lean muscle mass you develop the more calories your body will burn AT ALL TIMES, not only during exercise. It will take some time to find the most beneficial exercise formula for your body type but generally speaking, a challenging, hi rep, lower weight, lifting program will keep your muscles from getting too big. >>>>>>>>>>>>>Side Note: This is not an absolute rule and I know it to be untrue for many, it is simply a general rule to be used as a starting point.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Here is what I suggest for you as a starting point:

a) Eat a very clean diet. No junk, just good nutritious food.

b) Do 4 intense cardio workouts per week (2 interval workouts and two moderate to high intensity non-interval workouts).

c) On non-cardio days, I recommend doing my "Leaner Legs" workout one day and my "Power Hour" or "Muscle Endurance" workout on the other. Never do these weight workouts on consecutive days.

Good Luck!

Thank you so much for replying. I have a couple more questions, hope you have time to reply.

1)I know that cardio is very important in weight loss. Since I've been doing 6 days of cardio, should I ADD 2 days of weight training or should I SUBSTITUTE 2 cardio days with weight training?

2)How much weight should I be using with Power Hour (I haven't done weights before) will 3# and 5# be enough? Is a barbell necessary or can I use the free weights untill I get one?

3)Is there a difference between the leg work in Power Hour and Leaner Legs? Would I get the same benifits if I do 1 days of total Power Hour and another day of the leg portion of Power Hour, or maybe just do Power Hour twice a week?

Thank-you so much,
Katia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.