Cathe - Static Lunge Problems, please help

Hi Cathe

I have kind of an odd problem. Whenever I try to do a static lunge it really burns the leg that is to the back after only 2-3 reps! I have to stop for a few seconds, stretch it and then do another 2-3 (repeat).

I keep the majority of my weight to the front leg/heel, all my angles are fine (I check in the full length mirror), Im going up/down v. side/side fwd/back. I've tried lower weights, no weights and still it is really burning at the very top of my thigh. Should I just forget about doing them all together, or is there something else I can try?

Thanks,

Vicky

OH! P.S. This only started happening after I had my son 4.5 months ago, before I got pregnant I could lunge till the cows came home! I guess that is what makes my problem odd :eek:

Hi, Vicky:
I hope you don't mind my butting in, here, but I know exactly what you mean, only for me it happened after going through back surgery about a year ago. I think in each of our cases our hip flexors were not being used much for a while. For me they were the slowest of all to recover when I was rehabbing, but they did come back. I found kickboxing drills really good for them. Just an idea. Good luck.
--Ann

I'm not a qualified medical professional or physical therapist, but here's an idea that might steer you in the right direction. I just read recently (can't remember where) that the changes in your body that allow your hips to relax enough to give birth to a baby can cause problems like this for up to a year after the baby's birth. You might want to check into it.

Oh wow, thanks! So I guess I'll just go VERY EASY on my poor lil flexors for a while so they can recover properly.

I tell ya though, they've been wierd since labor. You know how some people have back labor and things like that... all my labor pain was in the hipflexors and quads. The doctor said he'd never seen that before. Go figure ME to be the strange one :-rollen

Thanks again for the info
~Vicky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.