Cathe or SNM: Posting about spin bikes?

feebee

Cathlete
Cathe or SNM, will you be posting on which type of bike will work best for the spinning dvd? Like what specifications would work best, upright or spinning, weight of flywheel, straps on pedal necessary, etc. I have not purchased an indoor bike in twenty years and my, how they have changed. I want to purchase but am not sure what features to be concerned with. Any help or suggestions would be great!
Thanks so much,
Colleen

Spin Bikes

There are a lot of good spin and indoor cycle bikes you can select from. At our health club we use Star Trac V-Bikes for our cycle classes, but these bikes were purchased 5 years ago and if we were to buy again we would probably get Star Trac NXT bikes or perhaps another brand.

Spin bikes for a health club have to be extra sturdy because of the abuse they have to be able to take. The home exerciser can purchase a much cheaper bike and still get a high quality product.

We may use our V-bikes for the Cycle Max video or we may use another brand, we just haven't decided yet as we're still considering options. Any good spin bike will do and I suggest reading the reviews from those who have them.

Last edited:
SNM Videos - For what it is worth, I have taken many spin classes on the bikes at your health club as well as classes on the Star Trac NXT bikes at another nearby facility. Your bikes have much more comfortable adjustments and hold up better. Your spin classes are better too. :D

feebee - I know others have posted information on the bikes they use at home. I have a ProForm 290 SPX Indoor Cycle Trainer at home that sells for $239.99 on Amazon. The spin bike is inexpensive and I get just as good of a workout/calorie burn on it that I get at the gym.

I have asked this question before, but no one has answered it that I've seen. Can you use a regular stationary bike for this upcoming DVD? How does a spin bike differ from a regular one? Thanks.

I have asked this question before, but no one has answered it that I've seen. Can you use a regular stationary bike for this upcoming DVD? How does a spin bike differ from a regular one? Thanks.

There are differences.
A spin bike allows you to climb standing out of the saddle, you can also lean forward and your body geometry is that of when you outside on your bike climbing. You can sprint forward on the bars on in the drops the handlebars. The spin bike or bike trainer works with a flywheel which keeps the pedals moving.

Stationary exercise bikes usually have large seats, versus the real saddle of a spin bike or your own bike on a trainer. That will get in your way if you are wanting to stand and climb. The upright geometry of a stationary bike may make this difficult to do also. You will still be able to spin and work your body/legs on an exercise bike and some models can be adaptable. The real differences are body geometry and the flywheel, plus the resistance features of the spin bike or your own bike with gears on a trainer.

I have been on all three and prefer my own road bike on a moving trainer. Some prefer spin bikes, and others stationary bikes, anything can be adapted, you will still be moving and having fun with the music. If you have the chance, bike shops usually carry spin bikes and bike trainers, plus stationary bikes and you can give it a whirl.

Thanks for this explanation. That's an excellent suggestion to go to a bike shop and just scope it out. I wonder if I could get a different saddle for my bike. It is adjustable and even has programs for doing mountains, etc. I don't use it as much as I should and would love to be able to use this DVD on it. I think I'll go look at the differences. Thanks.

exercise-lover said:
Thanks for this explanation. That's an excellent suggestion to go to a bike shop and just scope it out. I wonder if I could get a different saddle for my bike. It is adjustable and even has programs for doing mountains, etc. I don't use it as much as I should and would love to be able to use this DVD on it. I think I'll go look at the differences. Thanks.

I thought the same thing about just getting another seat on your bike. I still don't understand why it wouldn't work though. Seems to me like it would be fine but maybe I'm missing something. If you can change the tension, I'd think you'd be able to stand/jump....but, again, maybe I'm just missing something.

Oh definitely swapping the seat for a bike saddle would really be helpful. That is what I did a few years back when I had a stationary exercise bike. If it has a panel in front where the programs are displayed like mine did, that will limit certain positions, but other then that I would still go for it. I used to go crazy on mine, got it so covered in sweat it rusted in certain spots!

Oh definitely swapping the seat for a bike saddle would really be helpful. That is what I did a few years back when I had a stationary exercise bike. If it has a panel in front where the programs are displayed like mine did, that will limit certain positions, but other then that I would still go for it. I used to go crazy on mine, got it so covered in sweat it rusted in certain spots!

Now, that is what I call a good workout! :eek: That is a riot!

Thanks SNM Videos and everyone for the great and helpful info. I can't wait to find and purchase a new indoor bike.
Colleen

Cycle Max, spin workouts and comparisons

Hi Everyone! The following post will answer many of the similar questions that I have received all in one response. I hope you find it valuable and informative. Feel free to ask more questions if you have them.

Yes, I will absolutely continue to make more spin DVD's if there is a demand for them in the future. Cycle Max will be my test to see how many people are interested in spin workouts and/or are interested in seeing future spin DVD's.

I'm also trying to get a feel for how many people have spin bikes at home.

Using an actual spin bike (along with spin shoes is even better) is the way to go. I have been asked many times if you can modify this workout using a stationary bike, treadmill, elliptical trainer, etc. My answer is that you can modify any workout and still get some benefit from it, but in order to get the absolute best results/benefits from Cycle Max (or any official spin based workout) you should use an indoor spin bike.

Actual indoor spin bikes have a heavy, weighted flywheel that is directly mechanically linked to the pedals. This makes them like fixed gear bikes, in that if you stop pushing on the pedals, they will tend to keep spinning due to the inertia of the flywheel. This makes for a much faster/higher pedaling cadence. Regular bikes or non-spin exercise bikes don't do this.

Advantages of using a spin bike verses a regular bike:

1) Spin bike has a nice lever with the full range of resistance immediately available.

2) The fixed wheel helps improve your pedaling technique and cardiovascular fitness

3) More adjustment options for reach, handlebar height, seat height

4) They are generally better put together.

As far as using CYCLE MAX on the elliptical or treadmill… again, anything can be modified to get something out of it, however, your results, benefits and overall experience will be entirely different. My guidance, coaching, terminology, drills, intensity levels will all not align properly with that of the modified piece of equipment, hence, the integrity of the intended workout will be lost.

Hope this provides you with some extra insight on spin bikes!

Last edited:
Release Date!

I'm on a mission to get a spin bike sooner rather than later, but dear hubby has asked that I try to sell my treadmill first since we have limited space in my workout area. I hope to have a spin bike by the release since I included that DVD in my preorder :D!

Lisa

Lisa!

That's exciting! Here's a link to a thread started by jenb about a good deal on a spin bike with free shipping!

http://cathe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=282433

I'm on a mission to get a spin bike sooner rather than later, but dear hubby has asked that I try to sell my treadmill first since we have limited space in my workout area. I hope to have a spin bike by the release since I included that DVD in my preorder :D!

Lisa

Spin Bike Resource!

Here's a link to Jeff Wimmer's site. He is the go to tech guy for all things Spin / Indoor Cycling for the last 20 years. He's literally wrote the manual for supporting this equipment.

He has product reviews, videos, support and much more info on his site...take a look around. He offers invaluable info on buying a spin bike and tells it like it is regarding the good/bad features on a bike whether beginner to advanced in knowledge on riding and maintaining your bike :D

http://www.biketekusa.org/cool_stuff/

Whether you purchase from him or not this site has much to offer.

You can do it Lisa :D

Lisa

Thanks Cathe!

That's the first post I've gotten a personal reply from Cathe and it made me feel so special! I really appreciate all the time you invest in us, thanks!

Lisa

horsing around said:
That's the first post I've gotten a personal reply from Cathe and it made me feel so special! I really appreciate all the time you invest in us, thanks!

Lisa

Well, you ARE special!!!

Lucky day!

I must have asked my husband (again) on the right day, because he agreed to go with me to look at spin bikes today!! I ended up with a Vision V-Series bike and it so quiet. OK, I'm off to give it a spin, but had to share my exciting news :D

Lisa

...Saturday 14th ♥

I must have asked my husband (again) on the right day, because he agreed to go with me to look at spin bikes today!! I ended up with a Vision V-Series bike and it so quiet. OK, I'm off to give it a spin, but had to share my exciting news :D

Lisa

That's awesome Lisa - wonderful to hear! Sometimes people worry about Friday 13th and say nothing worse but Sat 14th...in your case it's Super Spin(bike) Saturday :D Congrats on the reply from Cathe & getting your spin bike, woo-hoo! What a week :p

Love at first spin!

Did about 35 minutes on the spin bike and was a lovely sweaty mess by the time I was done. Then I did 30 minutes of yoga. If that wasn't enough, went to my parents farm and cleaned stalls & unloaded sawdust! Finally showered and will probably be sleeping by 9:30!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.