Cathe, please explain how abs respond

Jul

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
Can you explain what makes muscles grow thicker as opposed to making them tighter but shrinking the body in certain areas?
Specifically, abs, waist, and torso.

I have been experimenting with different ab moves using Pilates, various ab routines from your various tapes, and standing ab work. I know you've said in the past that we don't need to work abs more than three times per week. What I'm curious about is if there are any moves that actually make the abs/waist thicker. I especially wonder this during several of the waist/torso/ab standing moves. I know with arms and legs when you work the muscles they grow larger. Will my waist get bigger too? EEks! I don't want a bigger waist!
Thanks!

I also want to know the answer to this. I recently added more ab work to my rotation---and the waist of my pants is tighter-not what I was looking for. The legs and buns portion are loser--my plan was to cut back to 3 workouts a week instead of the 4 or 5. ( I was doing the abs on the express series) I have been on a weight loss plan for over a year, and have made alot of improvement, but I have a long ways to go, and my waist getting bigger is depressing!! I look forward to cathes answer. Diane

I too am interested in this question, because I have now seen 2 different replies in print (magazines) about ab workouts.
1 said: "the abs are like any other muscle group and should not be worked consecutive days."
the other said: "abs are the only muscle group that can be worked daily." Both statements made by certified personal trainers, so now I'm really lost?
Donna

Hi Jul! How often to work the abs on a weekly basis seems to be one of those questions that gains a new answer and perspective every few months. Since there are opposing views out there, my suggestion is to listen to your own body. Experiment and see if you get better results, the same results, or decreased results from going from three ab workouts a week to 6 or even 7 days a week. I have found that when ab work was simply versions of basic crunches, then 3 weekly workouts were plenty. Now with the incorporation of core training, you may want to consider adding a 4th or 5th ab workout for cross training benefits or exchange one of your existing workouts for this. I personally do three ab workouts per week, sometimes four, with a combination of traditional crunches and core work, and one workout is with the machines.

What makes the ab muscle grow thicker as opposed to toning and looking sleeker is when you add weight to your workouts. Some people are prone to build more muscle in this area than others.

For me, personally, I found that using the machines brought a bit of thickness to my waistline but on the flipside it also brought out more definition. So what I do is use some weighted machines but then go running a couple of times a week to keep my abs sleeker. Again, this is just what works for me. Oh, and I must say that this is obviously what I do when I am NOT pregnant. Good Luck!

Hi Jul! How often to work the abs on a weekly basis seems to be one of those questions that gains a new answer and perspective every few months. Since there are opposing views out there, my suggestion is to listen to your own body. Experiment and see if you get better results, the same results, or decreased results from going from three ab workouts a week to 6 or even 7 days a week. I have found that when ab work was simply versions of basic crunches, then 3 weekly workouts were plenty. Now with the incorporation of core training, you may want to consider adding a 4th or 5th ab workout for cross training benefits or exchange one of your existing workouts for this. I personally do three ab workouts per week, sometimes four, with a combination of traditional crunches and core work, and one workout is with the machines.

What makes the ab muscle grow thicker as opposed to toning and looking sleeker is when you add weight to your workouts. Some people are prone to build more muscle in this area than others.

For me, personally, I found that using the machines brought a bit of thickness to my waistline but on the flipside it also brought out more definition. So what I do is use some weighted machines but then go running a couple of times a week to keep my abs sleeker. Again, this is just what works for me. Oh, and I must say that this is obviously what I do when I am NOT pregnant. Good Luck!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.