Cathe--concern about August rotation

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe, (other respondants, feel free to PM me, I'm really just looking for Cathe's response. Thanks.)

Wow. I just looked at the August rotation, and I know that it would cause me major pain in my knees and back to do such long, high impact workouts, let alone adding on so many walking lunges, push-ups, etc. So, I'm not going to do it :)

However, I'm wondering if the rotation is actually safe for anyone, perhaps other than a professional athlete. Isn't this high of intensity overtraining? There are so many days of all out, long, strenuous workouts, with only one rest day per week.

I guess I was just surprised to see this. It just doesn't look safe to me (admitedly not a professional fitness person ;-) ) and I'm sort of waiting for you to say "Just Kidding!"

Thanks,
Wendy

PS Just wanted to add that the way you wrote the rotation was extremely witty, with your quotes and smileys!

I have to agree with you on the safety concerns. Didn't Cathe say on one of her IMAXs to only do interval training at this level no more than 2xs per week? Three days of IMAX plus BodyMax.. yikes!

I am an advanced exerciser and a personal trainer and I am not going near this rotation x(

Debbie Russo

I agree. I have been working out for about five years and there is no way I'm even going to attempt this rotation!!!"overtrainig" is the word for it!

Wendyloo -

I would like to PM you but you don't have the "send email to this user" icon in your signature bar.

Susan L.G.

>Wendyloo -
>
>I would like to PM you but you don't have the "send email to
>this user" icon in your signature bar.
>
>Susan L.G.

Oops! Sorry Susan--I've enabled that feature now :)

Wendy

In the past Cathe has geared her workouts primarily to the advanced exerciser. Only recently has she had more options for people at the beginner/intermediate level.

I also am very concerned about this rotation:

1. It is very intense and advanced. I know my knees cannot take it. I agree that it is at a level above most. I am concerned that some people will suffer injuries as a result.

2. I don't have time for it. My goal is to achieve fitness with about an hour a day, six days a week. My schedule and interest level demand it!

3. I would have liked it if Cathe could have included suggestions of how to modify the rotation based on personal fitness goals and time constraints. I would also have liked if she could have included an alternative rotation.

Does anybody have a favorite rotation from the past? Please post a link.

Thanks,

Rhonda

Hi Wendy! As a long standing member of our "educated crowd" ;-) I commend you for knowing your body's limits and deciding to pass on this rotation. As you already know, I always tell people to "listen to your body and make the workout work for YOU!" You've done just that and I'm proud to hear it.

As for the safety concerns of others who choose to participate in this rotation....yes, it is absolutely safe and here is why:

1) Each individual simply needs to listen to their own body. I'm confident that anyone who decides to do this rotation is aware of whether they are at the right fitness level to attempt it. I'm also confident that if they have discovered that it is more difficult then they originally thought that they will either stop doing it if it doesn't work for them or modify it to make it more doable for them.

2) All of my rotations are optional and never mandatory. Each month you look at it and decide whether or not it is something you are interested in doing. This months just happens to cater to the more advanced participant who is looking for a higher challenge or to break a plateau. However, I have had others that catered to beginners, intermediates, advanced, etc.

3) The workouts are about 75 to 90 minutes in length with one day coming in at two hours. If you think about it comparatively, A) On the roadtrip we did 3 classes in an 8 hour window of time (and thats with newcomer stress and nervous energy at an all time high...making one fatigue much faster). B) School sports programs have 3 hour practices after school five days a week for the whole season. C) Our terminator DVD is equally strenuous and is one of our biggest sellers D) We have many advanced participants on the forums who do 90 minute workouts daily and regularily

4) Yes, while many of these workouts are very advanced, it is only a one month rotation to break a plateau and then one can resume their normal workout routine.

5) Although 200 to 400 walking lunges may sound like a lot, it only takes 6 to 12 minutes or less to do. 200 jumping jacks takes about 3 minutes to do. 400 sit ups takes about 5 to 6 minutes. Boot camp back to back may seem like a lot but if you remove the ending stretch from the first round and the warm up from the second round you are down to a one hour 45 minute workout. If you leave them in, it can be viewed as a nice recovery in between the two workouts, so you can win either way.

I'm sure that some may find fault with this rotation feeling it to be too advanced, but it truly comes down to your fitness level, body mechanics, and goals (in this case to shock the body to break through fitness plateaus). Its ok that many may not be able to do this rotation. Simply pass on it this month. But there are those who can do this rotation and I feel that they are just as entitled to receive a challenging rotation as everyone else.

Ok, this is actually getting way too long so let me just close with one last reminder:

Listen to your body and do what you can!

Thank for your question and concern Wendy. I hope this helps clarify things a bit :)

Thank you Cathe!! As I've mentioned before, I love the fact that I'm not yet able to do everything that you give us, as it just gives me that much more to work towards! And although I consider myself to be advanced, I don't think I could do this rotation THIS time! But I am glad I have it as a future goal to accomplish.
Carolyn

Wow! Cathe, I am so completely impressed with your response! I had decided that this rotation wasn't for me, but I was having doubts after reading other posts from people who were following it. I thought that maybe my ideas were wrong and that I should just try and follow the rotation regardless! Now, I am breathing a bit easier as I realize that I need to listen to my body.

Thank you for everything you do for us. My life is healthier and happier due to everything you've provided us! Please continue the great work.

Phyllis

Hi Rhonda,

If you go check out the Rotation Forum, you will find that Hollyinkc has indexed all of Cathe's rotations from the past. There are so many different ones, it's like trying to chose from a candy store!!!!:) :D

Personally, I find the August rotation a fun challenge!!! A few years ago...no way. I couldn't even finish all of Imax then...but now I'm ready to challenge myself with something else!!!}( }( }(

Michelle

Thanks for the response Cathe. I normally don't do your rotations, but this one caught my eye as being fun. Yes I will modify, and adding an extra day of rest per week actually brings it to the end of August. I swim instead of run, and am used to working out 2 hours a day.....at 44. And first week of September....will be a well earned rest!

Cathe I was impressed by how you answered the folks who thought this was to tough. I already workout 2to 2-1/2 hours a day. Usually split up though. I am doing this rotation and so far so good. In fact tonight I did slow and heavy bi's and tri's as well. So thanks cathe for a great rotation and I am thrilled that so far I can do it and then some!

Terri

What a great answer - very professionally worded, and actually just what I expected from you, Cathe! I know I was not going to do the rotation - it's been too long since I gave myself a break, so the old bones told me that this was not the time. I'm going to take it easy for a week and READ all about what everyone else is doing!
Just Do It - but only if you feel up to it! :)

I think that Intermediates and Beginners can do an August-like rotation by consulting the Ultimate Guide to Cathe Videos (I think it's on the Video & DVD comments forum) and see where the DVD Cathe suggests falls and then substitute it for a workout that is less intense. The jumping jacks, walking lunges and all other like exercises can be done in less quantities and the running could be replaced with cycling--if you cycle.

My point is that Cathe's August rotation was meant to challenge the advanced exerciser. Others can modify while still challenging themselves.

Cathy

Nicely put Cathe, and some great info in it as well. I've jumped into the August rotation, and have found for most post it's equal to what I've been doing, but focuses more on just one body part, each day. Rather then my two body parts per day. The first two days really felt awesome. But due to another PT calling in sick I had to skip day 3. I just couldn't do it after teaching 4 different classes, two were mine, and 2 were from the sick PT. But I'm sure I got every bit of intensity in, that the day's workout called for. And I've already jumped back into the rotation today, and loving it.

My football players are probably going to cry, when they do challenge the PT again, this year. It's where I do their workout and they do mine. >:) I turned in two video's last year for the challenge. And the guys loved watching you and the other backgrounders, but they sure really wished, you'd stop picking up that weight half way through. Though there are four of them that are now Cathe fans. Maybe this time a few more will be converted. :)

Kit

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.