Cathe...Best Cardio???

Kimenem

Cathlete
Hi Cathe!! I just wanted your opinion about cardio. Recently, just to mix things up, I started running the stadium steps at my old high school. There are 34 steps in all and I do it 15 times, with walking laps around the track in between each set of 5 steps. I thought this was good for fat burning but was told today that it will mainly just build leg strength and definition, which is great, but I want the overall fat burn as well. Running was suggested. I've tried running and it is definitely something I would have to work up to. What do you think? If running is the answer (along with diet), how far and how often? Also, is a steady run better than a "run/walk?" Thanks so much.

Kim

Kim - if you can run up ALL those steps, you could definitely run on a flatter surface just fine I would think....Just build up to it - run as much as you can, recover walking briskly and alternate running/walking until you are just running the whole course.

I personally burn more calories on a run/walk than I do with straight running--maybe because I can't go out with the same intensity when I run the whole way as when I can get the 2 min of rest in between the 3 minute bursts of running. I average about 12-13 min miles for a 6 mile run and under (my pace slows down to 13-14 min miles when running longer distances), so run/walk doesn't necessarily equate to a slower overall pace :).

When my daughter was in Mother's Day out, I decided to try the stadium across the street as an alternative to the gym. I ran the stairs, took the stairs two by two, did some jump ups - had my own little routine out there up and down through all of them, then I would take the track for a very fast walk (trying some running mixed in but running is not my thing) for two laps, then stairs again, then two laps, etc. I would go for 45 min to an hour. I also worked in some squats and lunges, push ups and tricep dips (using the stairs for those). I was very pleased with the progress I made aerobically and with my body. I had let my exercise routing slip and had gained a few pounds. Let me tell you, they quickly came off, and I had so much fun doing it.

These are really good suggestions! I posted this ? in the open forum as well, but what should the interval timing be for a run/walk?

I think a good one to start with is 3/2 (3 min run, 2 min walk). From there, you can adjust based on how you feel, but I find that starting with 2 min of walking (vs. 1 min or even just 30 sec) makes it more manageable than if you dive right into a shorter interval.

Even now, I could probably run 3-4 miles straight, but I prefer the run/walk intervals--I've been able to steadily increase my pace on it, to the point where I'm slightly faster than some of the people on my Team in Training team who run the entire way!

I think the interval timing probably depends on how fast your run is. The faster you run the shorter the intervals. I love doing 10 second sprints with a 30 second walk, and I've heard that all out sprints really burn calories.

If you run up the steps and walk down them, you're already doing an interval workout. If you run/walk, that's an interval workout as well since it's bouts of higher heart rate and a recovery.

Are you running up the seats or up the stairs? I used to run a nearby stadium and would run up the seats and come down the stairs either walking or jogging down; I think there were 2 stair steps for each seat. You are trying to get your heart rate up so the bigger your range of motion (the higher the step) the better.

For running, do what you can at first to figure out how long you can run without needing a break. When I was first trying to get back to running, I'd run 1 min walk 1 min. You really want to go as FAST as you can for the running portion so if you can't go more than a minute that's okay. As you build up your endurance, you can shoot for 90 seconds-3 min sprint and then a recovery of 60-90 seconds.

I say if you're just getting into running, let nature be your guide. Run as fast and as long as you can, then recover just until you honestly think you can run as fast and as long as you cain again. You don't want your recovery to be longer than your running, though! Shoot for 10 intervals each time you're out, but if you're limited on time, go for 6.

HTH!!

I'm running up the steps, take a few second breather, then quickly walk back down the same steps. We do this 5 times, then walk the track one. (3 cycles of this for a total of 15 step runs). I think I may add interval running/walking as well though. Maybe steps 1 days and the interval run/walk 2 days.

I found this to be a good workout, I find a good song on my I-pod (Matchbox Twenty-"Let's see how far we've come") and try to sprint the song, slow jog the next song, repeat. Or I sprint all out for 3 telephone poles (1/8 mile), jog to the next, repeat... I'll do this for about 1 to 1.5 miles of my 4 mile run. I definitly feel it...:)

So to start out, if I'm running for 2 min and walking for 1, how many times should I do this? I did it for 2 miles on Wed and then just walked the last mile.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.