Cathe, any pointers on improving agility for step?

shanihib

Cathlete
I have a real problem in picking my feet up high enough as I get tired doing step workouts such as high intensity on the 4DS, or especially when we do lunges and squats off the step repetitively and quickly. I sprained my ankle 13 weeks ago doing it (and when it happened it wasn't a surprise.) I still want to do the workouts but I'm nervous about injury.

What can I do to strengthen my legs or gain endurance? I'm thinking that maybe it is weakness in my thighs? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Shani,

Have the same problem.

Bumping for ya.

Janie
4760884_bodyshot_175x233.gif

Shani have you tried lowering your step height when you're getting fatigued?? Starting on a 6" until you're tired then going down to just the topper. I'd suggest doing that until you gain the strength to keep up on a higher step. HTH

Where do you gain strength for higher steps? Is this primarily quad work? I am thinking it is way more than calves because it is as if my legs don't lift as high as they were before (which is how I turned my ankle) I'm just curious, and also thinking I could focus on that area in strength training to add with the cardio step!

Shanihib, I would also suggest switching to the floor when you become tired until your heart rate comes down (or for me - when my thighs stop burning). Or before doing the lunges and squats on the step at any level, do them on the floor. I noticed for me, the pace was too fast and I had to get my balance first before attempting the footwork on the step. It is also good to strengthen your legs because this is the part of the body that primarily get the workout. Legs are key in any form exercise. Hope this helps and good luck.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.