For Cathe - ? about lunges and different varieties

APRYL

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
I'm enjoying all the new tapes. Thank you! Rhythmic Step has your best choreography yet, btw. :)

Something I've wondered about for awhile... and I hope I can express my question clearly enough: How do the many varieties of lunges affect the legs/glutes differently? As an example, a traditional lunge vs static or walking lunges? Does one movement target the quads, hams, or glutes more than another, or is it simply mental variety? If it's variety for the muscle, howso?

Traditional lunges are more challenging for me, so I try to do those more than the others, simply because *I* think if it's more difficult, it must be more effective in some ways.

One more question: I have no knee problems, no balance issues, no reason I can't do any of these exercises, so having said that, which of the different lunges is best for fine-tuning those thighs? (My legs are lean, and definition is obvious.)

Thanks for your help! :)
Apryl

Good question. I wonder the same thing. It seems like Cathe does more static lunges than the Firm instructors who do regular lunges. I always feel it more in the static lunges because I feel like I'm using momentum when I do regular lunges. Of coyrse walking lunges make me the most sore :) /i'm interested in Cathe's reply.

Emily

I'm not sure exactly how they work the muscles differently but I know they work the knee joint differently. I can do reverse lunges, regular barbell squats and stationary lunges but when I do those forward lunges where you step forward then lunge, my knee says "no".

Stacy

Hi Apryl! Anytime you get into different positions to work a muscle, you will recruit tissues in a slightly different manner. For the most part, all lunges will target the glutes, thighs and buttocks. But varying the way you perform them will present new slight challenges to the muscle. So if you have a favorite that you feel is more intense, you can do more of it but it is also good to do the others here and there (since you have no limitations) to activate muscles from a different perspective.

From the push off force when returning from a front lunge, to the muscular contactions that occur while you balance during very slow tempo static lunges, to the front leg vs back leg muscle recruitment involved during one legged squats (a split lunge); all of these changes promote new stimulation. They all work well to shape and define the thighs, so the choice is yours while the variety is best. Good Luck!

Thank you, Cathe. :) One more ? please-

May I ask one more question?

I'm happy with my muscle mass and shape of my legs, but my rear seems to be a bubble bottom, which I'd like to tone down. It's solid, but I'd like it smaller.

Do squats use more glute muscles than lunges? I've been doing more lunges and less squats. Is this what you would do?
Thanks again!
Apryl :)

RE: Me Too!

I'm am glad you asked that question and would love to hear the answer. I also wondered if I should decrease the weight a little on the barbell. My legs have some muscle mass but I do not want them to get too thick.

RE: Thank you, Cathe. :) One more ? please-

Hi Apryl! Both exercises target the glutes however, squats may seem like they use more glute muscles because 1) squats have both glutes firing at the same time (lunges fire one side at a time) 2) you are able to use heavier weight when squatting because you are in a more balanced and stable stance, plus each leg is using the same muscles in the same manner.

Genetics will tell you whether squats, lunges, more of one,less of the other, heavier with one, lighter with the other, a combination of both, etc. is the best option for you. You'll just have to experiment with it for a bit.

Personally, for my body type, if my bottom is getting fuller, I do better with lighter weight for both squats and lunges and then running a couple of times a week. Or, one heavy workout for both exercises, one lighter workout for both exercises, and running. Clean eating is ALWAYS a huge part in the picture too.

Good Luck with everything.

Hi Cathe

and thank you so much for your input!
Apryl :) who can't imagine *your* bottom getting fuller! ha!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.