Can I raise my step height to 12 inches

dee

Hi Cathy,

I want to know if it is safe for me to raise my step height to 12 inches.(I have extra blocks)I currently use it at 10 inches, but for some of the workouts I know I want a little more intensity. I am 5 5". I tried using it at that height for one workout and I felt fine, but I don't want to injure myself in the long run.Your input would be great.

I just want you to know I just discovered your workouts a month ago and I loovvve them. Your workouts give me the challenge I was looking for. I was ao frustrated buying tapes before. Thank You!!!!!

Sincerely,
Dee

Hi Cathy,
I am not cathy, but I had to chime in on this one. Do you want to raise your step for step aerobics? If so, I heard the only reason you raise your step is not for more intensity it is for how tall you are. Obviously, longer legs need the step a little higher. I would love to see if Cathe would answer to see if this information I heard is right or not.

Yes it is for step aerobics. When I raised it for that one workout I mentioned, it did raise my heart rate. Hopefully Cathe will give us the answer.

Thanks,
Dee

The question refering to raising the step interests me also. In Cathe's more recent videos she has only one riser. In the older ones she has 2. Only the taller girl in the more recent ones have 2 risers. I am only 5ft. 2in and wonder if the higher step puts more pressure on my knees. I have been stepping for about 10 years and have always used two on each side but sometimes my knees hurt. I do feel that I get a good work out with only one by jumping more. Hope to hear the answer too.
Debbie

Is it me, or does 12 inches seem ridiculously high, even at 5 foot 5 inches. I don't even get how you could keep up since your leg is traveling higher on each rep. It is almost comical to me when I think about it cuz I use a 14" step for sit and stands!! I would be jumping onto that thing at 5'1!! HA HA...

No, really though, I would like to see Cathe's reply. To me, it would seem like the injury risk would outweigh the minimal increase in intensity..

Janice

I have heard that actually 10" can be dangerous, regardless of your own height. Rhonda from Cathe's videos is 5'6" so I assume that is why she tends to use a higher step than the rest of the gang, who are 5'3" and under. Might I suggest other ways to increase intensity? I find 8" to be easy for some workouts, but instead of risking injury by upping my step height, I add power moves. A basic step becomes a run up, a horse shoe becomes a power horse, etc. I just jump whenever I get the chance. This will make any workout tougher! Have fun and be safe!

I use 10" and have for years and am 5'6 1/2". I wouldn't even dream of doing one of Cathe's step tapes on 12"! I think I'd pass out! I notice on some of the workouts I really have to watch my footing so I don't trip over myself. IMO I'd stay at only 10" if for anything but safety sake! Susan

I use a 10"step at times, but ONLY for Firm step videos, which are slower paced than Cathe videos and have much simpler moves. Even for that, I would never consider going to 12". Your knees and probably lower back will thank you if you go to an 8"step maximum for Cathe videos, even if you don't feel any pain now.

Hi
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I certainly wouldn't raise my step height to 12 for a Cathe tape. It would be too hard on your knees and back. I use to do 10 inches for firm videos and last summer hurt my knee. My physical therapist told me not to use a step past 4 inches because it was bad for my knees. Currently I use a 6 inch step with Cathe and just intensify some of the moves. I'll jump higher etc. I get a great workout using Cathe tapes with the 6 in step and do not have any knee problems.

Hi
Just wanted to add my 2 cents. I certainly wouldn't raise my step height to 12 for a Cathe tape. It would be too hard on your knees and back. I use to do 10 inches for firm videos and last summer hurt my knee. My physical therapist told me not to use a step past 4 inches because it was bad for my knees. Currently I use a 6 inch step with Cathe and just intensify some of the moves. I'll jump higher etc. I get a great workout using Cathe tapes with the 6 in step and do not have any knee problems.

Thanks for the info. May I ask how often were you doing step tapes when you got hurt?? The most I do step is 2 times a week. The other days I do Tae-Bo and Strength Training. I will take your advice and just intensify my moves.

Thanks,
Dee

Just wanted to add my 2 cents-I really think it is up to the individual, I have been doing a 12 inch step for the past 3 years and I am 5'4"-it does take getting used to, as would any raising of blocks,but your knees actually get used to it and I feel strengthen. I have never had any knee problems, of course in the beginning my knees did get a little sore, but that went away and I have never experienced any problems. I also feel that it does bring up the intensity, the 10 inch I wasn't feeling the intensity anymore, so I went up to the 12 inch and it did make a difference. I love the 12 inch, but that is just my opinion. Good Luck!- Pam

I'm five five and I thought Rhonda would be more like five seven or eight at least. Anyways I use a six inch or four inch step on Cahte videos. On Gilad or Step Reebok I can go eight inches max. And, yes, the increased step height does raise intensity for sure.

Edith

Pam,

I am so happy to hear that you are actually using 12 in. with no problems. I am going to give it a try.I really do like the extra intensity.
Thank You,
Dina

It's a matter of proper form and technique...

When stepping up onto the Step, knee flexion should never exceed 90 degrees when weight-bearing. According to AFAA, "participants are encouraged to select a step height that will allow an appropriate training stimulus without compromising form and technique". I'll also note that a step height above 10" is not recommended...

Hope this helps! jeni

Hi Dee, this is Pam, I replied to you before and told you that I was using a 12 inch step for the past 3 years, well I made a mistake after I measured my step, it is only 10 inches(the platform with 3 blocks)I would not go up any higher than 10 because I think that is too high, sorry for the mistake. Take care and Happy Holidays- Pam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.