Best Method

rachel132

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

I'm returning from a few months of not working out and it feels great! I did GS Legs a few days ago and I was not quite able to complete the workout (plus I've had hardcore DOMS for 3 days -- ouch, ouch whenever I move). I had to cut out about ten minutes worth of the floor excerises as my legs were giving out. The weights I used for the standing portion were generally 10 pounds less than you used, but sometimes the same as what you used. My question is, what is the better way to build up my endurance/strength: 1) lower my weights and try to complete workouts; or 2) take breaks but keep using higher weights?

I'm 2 1/2 weeks back into working out and have already lost 4 pounds of the 10 I put back on over the last few months, without much change in diet. There's no denying that your workouts work!! Can't wait for STS.

Sonja.

Well I can't speak for Cathe here, but I have experimented with this myself many times for the same reasons.

I would try doing the lower weights until you can complete the whole routine once or twice, then increase. If you can do the whole thing now, then i would stick with the heavier weights and just insert a longer rest where needed and/or shave off some reps.

This is a perfect example of 'progressive overload' and since you're following Cathe's workout you'll instantly see where you're making progress by noting where you no longer need the breaks or where you're doing an extra rep (when the last time maybe you did 8, now you're doing 9 etc), this is a great way to build strangth fast :)

My suggestion is to take it slow and work yourself back into it. It takes only 2 weeks to lose your endurance and strength and at least a month if not 2 to regain where you left off.

Take it slow like you did when you first started and don't be disappointed that you are using lower weights. If you push yourself too hard too fast you will find yourself injuried and burned out or disappointed and don't feel like workingout anymore.

I would reduce your weights and slowly increase back to where you used to be. It takes time to rebuild your strenght but you will get there in the time frame your body needs to be able to get there.

If you are doing a workout such as the gym style, try one of the reps with the weights you used to use and the other 2 reps with the lighter weight, this will also help you to be able to increase your weight and your body will adjust to that more on the safe side.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.