Bench Presses

bgm

Cathe,
I have recently been having problems with my rotator cuff (sp). I am seeing a Physical therapist to correct the problem, (not a tear just inflamed) He told me that you should never do a flat bench press because it puts to much pressure on the rotator cuff. I know you have some in the PS series, and some on an angle. Have you ever heard this before.
Thanks
BGM

Rotator cuffs!

Hi there, hope you don't mind me butting in here, but I have been plagued with this same problem and am very interested to hear what Cathe has to say. I am just about recovered, due to a lot of rotator strengthening exercises (which I'm sure your PT had given you) and also a lot of weight lifting modifications. I never do flat bench presses either and I've also heard that it's best to keep your grip fairly narrow. I don't do upright rows (sub shrugs), don't do 'Arnold' presses (sub military press), and don't do bent arm side laterals (sub straight arm w/ palms facing back). These exercises (according to what I've read) can cause impingment (sp?) and definitely have aggravated an already tender RC in my case. Hope you recover soon and good luck!

Elizabeth Kelly
happy.gif

Rotator cuff/bench press

I've had problems with both shoulders/rotator cuffs (at different times). I did need to do PT, and that helped a lot (internal/external rotation strengthening). I found it most effective to just lay off upper body COMPLETELY for a few weeks (I know, it's not easy, but believe me, it's worth it) and just do the specific PT exercises as my "upper body work." And - if you've only got one shoulder that's hurting right now - please, do the exercises for BOTH SIDES (or the strength imbalance you develop can cause the OTHER shoulder to possibly develop the same problems).
I was able to get back to bench presses of all types within several months. I find that sometimes a barbell can cause discomfort; using dumbbells instead to press definitely helps (you can slightly rotate your arms "out" of the impingement zone). Also, doing lateral and front raises - use a thumbs-up position with the hands; again, it helps get that humerus out of the impingment zone.
Just some thoughts.

rotator cuff/bench presses

Thanks for the replies. The information is helpful. I go to they gym this Thursday with by PT and he is going to show me some exercises to help strengthen by rotator cuff.
Again, thanks.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.