Belly fat

Hi Cathe - I'm 48 and have a number of your videos that I love. All are step aerobics. I just ordered 5 new ones! :) I know that at 48, I probably can't expect the body of a 25 yo...however, I'm 5'7" and weigh 119 and don't have alot of body fat. What I do have is all concentrated just below my belly button. If I understand correctly, fat can only be reduced by aerobic type exercise...not spot reduction. Is that correct? I'm not sure how much weight I care to lose...maybe 2 pounds at best, at I'm sure I'd lose it from places that don't need it. Any suggestions for me?

I love your videos!!!

Debbie

Hi, I'm sure Cathe or others will give you a more "physical" response, but I sure do think our bodies like us to treat them kind thoughts! So, to complement the "soft" spot of your belly (and for others who have "problem areas"), check out this great book --The Woman's Belly Book -- http://www.loveyourbelly.com/

You can wait for the new edition or order a current copy now.

Cheers!

As women, we have a definite tendency to store fat in the lower body. I have always had a belly pooch, no matter how thin I was, and if I were to get rid of the pooch, I would be too thin elsewhere.

U obviously haven't seen you, but 119 pounds at 5' 7" seems rather low to me. I really can't imagine that you need to lose more weight.

Learn to accept that belly pooch (mine serves as a nice kneading place for one of my cats, so when I start to "hate" it, I just think of how much pleasure it gives to her, and it doesn't seem so bad.

I would focus on toning that are. Planks helped me tone up mine. After three kids in four yrs my belly button on top had sagging skin and I never thought I would have a normal looking belly button again. Planks are for the whole core and work great. Start off like you going to do a guy p;ush up but you will be on your elbows instead of your hands, come upon your toes and contract your abs and hold for 30sec to start. do that several times. as it gets easy hold it for 1minute instead of 30sec. also bicycle ex work good for a all over toner on the stomach. but it takes time, it wont tone up over night. goodluck

Hi- Sorry to keep giving props to southbeach diet...but I tried everything to get rid of my belly and finally tried southbeach...my belly is gone and I am thinking about getting my belly button pierced...haha. Not bad for a 40 year old chick. I hold all of my fat in my upper body (including face and neck...ick). I cant sell this diet enough...it has done wonders for me...My favorite line is, Southbeach is just clean eating with a designer label. :)

I'm a vegetarian...don't like desserts and eat really well, so I'm not thinking about a "diet". I've heard Southbeach is good though.

Debbie

I heard many times that great abs are "made in the kitchen", so you may want to take a look at how clean you are eating. That being said, may I suggest that it is possible that this is just how your body is shaped? Like Kathryn said, your weight is very low so I can't imagine that you need to lose any weight at all. In fact, you may want to look at gaining. Also, if you've had children it just may be a little bit of extra skin which is not fat. Usually the belly will "shrink back" to it's normal size after childbirth and sometimes there will be a little "pooch" left over. My DH spoke to his surgeon friend who said that he won't do surgery(tummy tuck I suppose)on anyone who hasn't waited a least 2 years after childbirth or extreme weight loss to give the skin time to bounce back. I have a client who has a lot of extra skin resulting from a 70 pound weight loss. She was overweight all of her life and as a result, her skin probably will not bounce back(she is in her 50's and age will change the elasticity of the skin). After years of extra skin, with a clean diet and a great exercise program(she basically turned herself into an athlete!!), she realizes that the only option is surgery if she wants to change it. She's opted to not have surgery and accept her body the way it is.
Anyway just my .18 cents (since I ended up writing a book!!:) )

Carolyn

Not Cathe, but can relate completely about the belly fat thing. I'm 5'6", 115, pounds, and look slim as can be in clothes, but I've got this belly. I'm at the point now where I'm just accepting of it (even tho my good friend who has NO belly is a constant reminder of MY belly). My abs are really toned and look great (i think) above the belly buttom. I think some ladies just store fat there. And, really, wouldn't you rather have a little fat in your belly than in your thights??? :)

I think I have more than just "a little fat" in my belly area....

I just received 5 five new videos today and settled down with a glass of iced tea to watch Rhythmic Step. I was out of breath just watching it!

But there were Cathe's abs...stunningly beautiful! I'm more convinced than ever that there's got to be a way to reduce my fat. I picked up a book at the library called Banish Your Belly, Butt & Thighs Forever and will spend some time perusing that. I also asked a friend of mine who's in a health related field and she simply rolled her eyes at me and told me to quit whining...she's at least 50 pounds overweight so she was probably not a good person to ask.

Thanks to all of you who've offered advice and I'm always open for more suggestions.

Debbie

Debbie, the reason people have excess body fat beneath the belly button is usualy because they do not get enough protine. I understand you are a vegetarian, but try to take some Soy protine between meals. Check out GENISOY.COM

I also asked a friend of mine who's in a health related
>field and she simply rolled her eyes at me and told me to
>quit whining...she's at least 50 pounds overweight so she was
>probably not a good person to ask.
>
>Thanks to all of you who've offered advice and I'm always open
>for more suggestions.
>
>Debbie

LOL....:eek: :eek: :eek: ...she was NOT a good person to ask!!! But read your book and let us know what you think....;)

I'm learning that it's protein as well. This is why South Beach Diets, and low carb diets work so well. Since you do not need to lose weight, you might want to focus on strength training & get a bottle of 100% whey protein. You can make super protein smoothies with these. Have you read the Ab Diet book? There's smoothie receipes in there. Or if your interested, e-mail me and I will send you a couple recipes: [email protected]

I'm 5'8" and was 120lbs in high school (I just had a baby & not near that weight presently). I was really skinny, but had a "bubble belly". My whole life I've been crunching and planking my way to a real hard/firm "bubble belly". Low carb & high protein have been my biggest result. Good luck. :)

**Melanie**
23lbs lost 10lbs to go

Jadon born 11/23/05
Justin born 1/17/04
Jory born 4/9/94
" Take care of your body like it will last a lifetime. Take care of your soul like it will last for eternity"

I listen to public radio and we have a doctor here in Wisconsin called Zorba Pastor...a really neat guy! Anyway, he says that most Americans get WAY too much protein so I'm really hesitant to eat more.
I really pay attention to what we eat...we eat soy several times a week, we eat eggs, cheese and all of us drink milk, so I'm not convinced that protein is an issue...

Debbie

I agree with you, Debbie. I don't think it should be low carb either. I think nutrient dense, complex carbs should make up the greatest portion of your diet.

Michele

I agree Michele. Americans tend to get more protein than people in most other countries. The low carb diet works because it usually lowers calorie intake, and flushes water out of the system causing a temporary weight loss.

cArolyn

I'm so confused. Lower belly fat is my biggest problem, and I hear so many different solutions. I know I need to control portions and lower my calorie intake as a whole, but I really need an answer to zero in on this one area. High protein, low carb? Some say yes, some say no. What to do? Has anyone had a plan that really resulted in a reduction in this area specifically? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Hi Coral,
Unfortunatly everyone's body reacts differently to diet and exercise. If I were you, I would experiement with what works best FOR YOU. Something that works well for someone else will not necessarily work for everyone. If you've tried counting calories, might I suggest "zig-zagging" your calorie intake from day to day to "confuse" the body. Try going to www.freediet.com. They offer a 7 day zig zag calorie count based on your activity level, gender, height, and weight(I think). Or try going to www.sparkpeople.com. A lot of people love that website.
Carolyn

Some say that belly fat is tied to cortisol levels, which are tied to stress. Reducing stress reduces cortisol, which in turn makes your body less apt to store belly fat.

If this is the case, then doing less stressful workouts, adding relaxation techniques and/or yoga and meditation, could help.

If the belly bulge isn't fat, but rather a lazy transverse abdominus (a muscle at the lower end of the abdominal region that acts like a corset to hold in the organs), then doing core work, planks, etc., will help (they help anyway!). Tracie Long Training's new workouts have a lot of core work, especially "Endurance in Movement."

Belly pooch can also be a sign of bad posture, which could be because of tight muscles (especially hamstrings, hip flexors and lower back) or muscle imbalance.

Or, again, it's just where your body puts on any extra fat it has.

My experience is that the South Beach Diet will eliminate the fat pooch in your abs. The only thing is, it may sap your energy as it is a low carb type of diet. I was able to stick with it for about four months but my workouts really suffered.

I see you are 48. I will be 51 in about a month and I can tell you I had a flat belly until I turned 42. I'm attributing some of my pooch to hormones.

Again- South Beach all the way. I am off and on now, mostly regular eating, however, I don't have half the appetite I used to have. It really helps your blood sugar levels to stablize, which is thought to be the culprit when cravings and extreme hunger take over. I cant remember the last time I was famished...;-) All I can tell is my experience, and it really worked. It isn't that hard either...a lot of easy options. And from a belly-fat pro (which means I had a belly most of my life...haha) I couldn't be more pleased with my results.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.